Hello from Connecticut

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum. I decided to take the plunge, and just made a deal on an Avid Mark IV Heavy Hauler. It has a Rotax 582 with 257 hours original from 2006. I will be getting it rebuilt before flying it, which is just as well as I do not yet have a taildragger endorsement. While that is done, I will be keeping it in my garage. Eventually, I'd like to put a Rotax 912 UL in it, but the 582 should do for now.

Looking forward to getting to know her and more importantly getting the training and comfort level I need to fly her well.

Cheers,
John

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome to the group John,  we all love pictures.  If you have questions about Avids, feel free to ask them.  Happy to help!  JIimChuk

2 people like this

Posted

I haven't taken delivery yet, so here are a few pics from the buyer.

I appreciate the offer about questions. I'm sure I will have some. Can't wait to be part of the 'family'!

N499BC-1.jpeg

N499BC-2.jpeg

N499BC-3.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice and I see the propeller spins the right way. Does it have a belt drive in it or something?

Posted

We had the cowling off, no belt drive. I'm not sure why it is like that - I assumed that was normal. I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. I'll take some pictures then.

Posted

I dont know, but looks like a left hand prop to me, so that is the right direction for a 582 with a gearbox.  The little I can see of the gearbox says it's a C gearbox, but then I can't see it very well

Posted

From the cockpit, it spins to the left. That is opposite of my RV-12 and every other plane I have flown. I haven’t seen any good reason for left vs right hand. Does anybody know why we have left hand props? 

I doubt it will be an issue, but I will have to anticipate left rudder on takeoff instead of right. 

Posted

The gear box reverses the direction of rotation on the engine.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The gear box reverses the direction of rotation on the engine.  JImChuk

I dont know, but looks like a left hand prop to me, so that is the right direction for a 582 with a gearbox.  The little I can see of the gearbox says it's a C gearbox, but then I can't see it very well

Never mind that is a shadow that I see thought it was a leading edge tape.

Edited by TJay