Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tall Fat Mods For A Short Skinny Airframe

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I used the search bar and didn't really find what i was looking for. I would assume many have figured out how to get a 6' 240lb person in a MK4. If anyone can help i may try to customize my plane to fit me. I know some say buy the correct plane but i can not afford 70k. I don't mind sticking $$$ in my avid as long as i don't get crazy upside down in is value. I want a light"ish" plane for local bouncing. My beginning in ultralights proved to me light weigh is the right weight. I posted it for sale so i could look for a bigger guy airframe, but i fear life may intervene and i may never reach the airport again. I do like a project and have a small but well equipped shop.  

Posted

Your weight may be less of an issue then the height.  And long legs can be worse then long torso.  The sling seat in the Avid is better then the fiberglass seat, you can some what adjust it back by how you tie it in place.  My second Avid MK IV had domes formed in the skylight that gave about 2" more headroom.  I've widened the fuselages on the last few planes I've rebuilt, an Avid MK IV, and a Kitfox 4.  Not really nessecary, but does make it a bit nicer with two onboard.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

My plane come with both the sling seat and the fiberglass pan type. The fiberglass seat pan was in it. Maybe i will lace up the sling seat. Do you have pic of your skylight?  My head already hits with out the headset.Thanks 

Edited by aschlem

Posted

What about a center stick mod. I had a Rans S10 that i flew from the middle. Or raising the roof? 

Posted

Here is an outfit that makes skylights.  I would think that if you could get them to make it just 3" tall x22x33 it would maybe work.  Or perhaps a couple of 17"X17".   Actually if a guy could control the heat well enough, it probably wouldn't be that hard to make one with plexiglass.  Maybe a bit of a vacuum to pull it down once it's heated to the right amount.  My domed skylight came as an option from Avid aircraft... JImChuk     Replacement Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round. (eztopsworldwide.com)

Avid 8.jpg

newest Avid 002.jpg

Posted

Thats a nice looking plane. i like the factory bubble skylight. 

Posted

I used the search bar and didn't really find what i was looking for. I would assume many have figured out how to get a 6' 240lb person in a MK4. If anyone can help i may try to customize my plane to fit me. I know some say buy the correct plane but i can not afford 70k. I don't mind sticking $$$ in my avid as long as i don't get crazy upside down in is value. I want a light"ish" plane for local bouncing. My beginning in ultralights proved to me light weigh is the right weight. I posted it for sale so i could look for a bigger guy airframe, but i fear life may intervene and i may never reach the airport again. I do like a project and have a small but well equipped 

I used the search bar and didn't really find what i was looking for. I would assume many have figured out how to get a 6' 240lb person in a MK4. If anyone can help i may try to customize my plane to fit me. I know some say buy the correct plane but i can not afford 70k. I don't mind sticking $$$ in my avid as long as i don't get crazy upside down in is value. I want a light"ish" plane for local bouncing. My beginning in ultralights proved to me light weigh is the right weight. I posted it for sale so i could look for a bigger guy airframe, but i fear life may intervene and i may never reach the airport again. I do like a project and have a small but well equipped shop.  

set the aluminum seat pan on the longeram, I've had a six foot six, 325lbs in my Avid , it was a snug fit

20210106_150450.jpg

Posted

Is that a kit fox? My torque tube is off to the left side.

Posted

One clever thing a friend of mine did on his MKIV was to make little triangular aluminum heel wells that "lowered" the floor just under the heels. The little wells dropped into holes he cut into the wood floor. The MKIV's worst thing to me is that one needs small feet in Ballet slippers to work the pedals. His solution got another 3/4 -1 inch of room under the heels for feet to fit. He had to work around tubing but it still worked quite well. Every little bit helps!

Posted

g

if you mean the aileron push / pull tube,? I modified mine like what was used on the mark 4

Posted

Does anyone have a picture of the strap or cloth sling seat?

Posted

SuberAvids control relocation and baggage mod might do the trick. Moving the seat back and adding individual seats may work.

Posted

Well, i found the mod that fits me. Unfortunately it was kind of pricey compared to a new sling seat or skylight. And it was much easier and less time consuming than a stretch and widen the seat area.  

rans2.jpg

Posted

I have a friend that flies a a S-6ES.  They are a little slower and very roomy inside.  I bet it will make a fine plane for you.

Posted (edited)

Im working on getting that training wheel off and a tail wheel on. AV Weld is building me a set of cub style with Aftershock suspension. I also ordered a T3 tail wheel suspension, still need the tail wheel. Thinking about the matco8'' wide

Edited by aschlem

Posted

I have a friend that flies a a S-6ES.  They are a little slower and very roomy inside.  I bet it will make a fine plane for you.

As it sets im currently cruising is 100mph @5gal and 93mph@4.5gal. It also out climbs the avid. Im very happy with the performance of both the Avid and the Rans.

Posted

Guessing you have the 912 in the Rans.  I rode in an S6 once that had a 582.  It was roomy as was mentioned, but seemed like about 65 was the cruise speed.  Seems like you have been flying the Avid.  That's good!  And for our sakes, a flight report or two would be good as well.  JImChuk

Posted

The fuselage is different for the tri-gear and the tail dragger.  The rear section on the tri was built out of aluminum tube and is not suitable for conversion to a tail dragger.  The TD had a complete fuselage made with 4130 cm tubing.

Posted

The fuselage is different for the tri-gear and the tail dragger.  The rear section on the tri was built out of aluminum tube and is not suitable for conversion to a tail dragger.  The TD had a complete fuselage made with 4130 cm tubing.

This is my second Rans s6. The tail cone is made from the same material on both. When adding a tail wheel there are sleeves that double the lower longerons maybe a gusset or two and the tail wheel mounting bracket. The S20 has a different fuselage like you describe.

Posted

Ok good to know I stand corrected. For some reason this did not post this morning.

Posted

Still waiting on my new gear from AvWeld. Found a landing spot today and gave it a go.ransand.thumb.jpg.7a1e33bab0e3aed0dbcf7aransand1.thumb.jpg.e35aabaab9bce29bce623

2 people like this