Avid MK4 For Sale.

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Selling my Avid Mk4 speed wing. This was a flying plane before going into storage at my house last year. It has a rebuilt 582, this was a complete LEAF build not a two stroke Sam overhaul. I have the paperwork to go with it. The plane had some wing tip damage that was repaired by the builder. Covering of this area could use some attention as it is not nearly as nice as the rest of the plane. With that said it has carried a AW inspection up till i bought it.  Comes with trailer, and lots of extra avid parts and rotax stuff. I will try to collect more info in the next few days. We are having pretty bad weather at the moment. When it gets above 20 deg i will go digging for the log book. Im in St.Louis area and want $14,000 cash

Posted

avid4.jpg

avid3.jpg

Posted

avid2.jpg

avid1.jpg

Posted

Nice looking airplane.

Posted

Beautiful! 

Posted (edited)

Found a pic on my phone looks like it was built in 1995 with a empty weight of 580lb. s/n looks like 1235D

data.jpg

data1.jpg

Edited by aschlem

Posted (edited)

278hrAF 3hrEngine panel is full of goodies. All the builders logs and records. This listing will go on Barnstormers Friday.

20210217_091436.jpg

20210217_083138.jpg

Edited by aschlem

Posted

Nice plane! Even has the nosewheel weldment. That adds significant value as it really widens the potential market for the plane. Someone is going to end up with a very nice bird!

Posted

aschlem, you wrote, " it has carried a AW inspection up till i bought it." 

Can you clarify - does the aircraft have a current experimental airworthiness certificate?

Thanks

Nick

Posted

Yes it does, the plane is out of annual inspection

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm making sure there is not going to be any issues with the registration, as I never transferred it to my name. Sorry for the generic reply but I have had a overwhelming amount of interest. I'm going to pull my ad from barnstormers also.

Posted (edited)

I have found everything, Bill of sale ect.. I may offer it for sale when i get the paperwork back.  Kinda having sellers remorse.  The only reason I offered it for sale is im 6' 240lb. Now that im looking at it again the bug is biting. If i could figure out how fit comfortably in it I would keep it, a  Rans , Kitfox, or a Just expensive is just out of my reach.   

Edited by aschlem

Posted

UPDATE: Well, you guys have me making flying noises while living vicariously though your pictures. I found what i was looking for in SuberAvid stretch MK4 project. Down the worm hole I go. Sorry for listing something im not quite ready to give up. 

Posted

It's up to you of course, but if your plane is in nice shape, I would be very reluctant to start chopping it up.  There are unfinished or damaged ones that pop up that may be a better candidate for cutting up.  Fact is, some of these real major projects get started and then never finished.  Sometimes smaller ones do to for that matter.   Maybe stretching the wings, but I would have a hard time cutting up a nicely finished fuselage...  YMMV.  JImChuk

Posted

I'm struggling with cutting up a flying airplane.

1 person likes this

Posted

Not my business, but how did this thread progress from plane for sale...does it have all paperwork.....yes....wait I think I want to keep it...to chopping it up?

Posted

I disagree to an extent. With a flying airplane you know what you have. You have everything to make it fly with the exception of what you need for the mods. With an unfinished project, is something missing? Is everything there for the engine install, instruments, etc.  I am currently rebuilding a Kitfox 4 that was a flying airplane that was involved in a nose over and except for my changes everything is there and I know it was working. From the sound of it, you are looking to do a stretch type mod involving recovering the fuselage. I don't see what difference it makes if it was flying first or not. The fuselage can be uncovered in an hour with a pocket knife. You would also have the benefit of wings and tail surfaces already covered and set to go if you don't decide to mod them. I think if it were me, and I decided to do the mods I'd just do it. Heck on mine, I could have just  done the repairs and had a big patch on the fuselage covering and it would have flown, but I decided to make more changes. Just my 2 cents.

Posted

Not my business, but how did this thread progress from plane for sale...does it have all paperwork.....yes....wait I think I want to keep it...to chopping it up?

He doesn't fit in it well and decided to sell, but after reading threads on here is having second thoughts about it and considering modding it to fit him better.

Posted

There are some more minor things that could maybe be accomplished to help you fit in the plane as well.  Sling seat, bubble doors,   raised skylight, perhaps those recesses in the floor boards that someone mentioned a few days ago.  When you start chopping out all the structure behind the seat, you better know what you are doing and be ready to carry it though to the end, other wise you may have a bunch of pieces cluttering up the place for years.  But like I said, it's yours and you can do as you wish.  What ever way you go, I hope it works out good for you.  JImChuk

Posted

He doesn't fit in it well and decided to sell, but after reading threads on here is having second thoughts about it and considering modding it to fit him better.

And the fear that i wont replace it with another plane. I have more hobbies than time, just not as ready as i thought i was to give this one up yet

Posted

There are some more minor things that could maybe be accomplished to help you fit in the plane as well.  Sling seat, bubble doors,   raised skylight, perhaps those recesses in the floor boards that someone mentioned a few days ago.  When you start chopping out all the structure behind the seat, you better know what you are doing and be ready to carry it though to the end, other wise you may have a bunch of pieces cluttering up the place for years.  But like I said, it's yours and you can do as you wish.  What ever way you go, I hope it works out good for you.  JImChuk

I thinking about a center stick mod and trying to form the skylight first.

Posted

A friend of mine had an A model Avid.  They are 36" wide.  He was about 6'1" and 230.  He rigged the plane up with a center stick, and used the two outside rudder pedals.  It became a single seater.  Actually he registered it as a single seater.   One thing about sitting in the center like he did, on the A model, the upper structure is supported with a diaganal cross piece so there was room for his head.  On the later Avids, there is tubing going straight back in the center.  JImChuk

Posted

Chris, i purchased this plane about two years ago with the intent to of extending the wings and making it what i wanted. The amount of work involved and the blessing of a new member to our family put an end to that. This winter i was in my shed and depressed looking at it i posted it for sale. When i said cut up i should have said modify. 

Posted

1avidflyer I noticed the tubes you mentioned.

Posted

AC 43-13 has the info. This still does not give individuals the skills. Here is a great training video. Maybe sticky worthy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd3sw0OppWM