Learning How to Cover a Plane

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello all. Can anyone provide me a link to some good content that teaches aircraft covering? I am looking for anything from planning, cleaning, patching, and compatibilities? I am looking for freely available content at this time. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Supermotive

Posted

I used Stewart Systems on my Skyraider and they have a series of DVD's that they sent me.They were super helpful from the prep work all the way through the painting process.

1 person likes this

Posted

There are several Polyfiber and Stewart’s System videos on YouTube and also the EAA SITE has several.

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is a poly fiber system video, but she does several things different from what I've done.  According to the manual, you put the first coat of poly brush on before the finish tapes.  (you can get clear poly brush, but I don't think she used it)   I like to have a real good bed of poly brush for the finish tapes to bond to.  I think if one skimps on that, you can have tapes that come undone more easily.  I do lay out all my tapes with a pencil and straightedge.  That is after the first brushed on coat of poly brush.  Then I use my real small paint sprayer that will spray in a 3/4" circle, and lay a coat of poly brush on when the finish tape will later be attached.  It's way faster then a paint brush, and you don't get brush marks.  Easier to have an even coat then also.  Mostly it's all fairly simple, but it's best to follow the manual.  One word of caution, don't skimp on the poly brush where the fabric is going over surfaces like fuel tanks and such.  If the fabric isn't saturated in those areas, you will get pin holes on the later sprayed on coats and they are a real pain to deal with.  Also, many people are afraid to do the rib stiching and look for other methods.  It also isn't very hard, mostly just time consuming.  But even then, maybe 4 hrs a wing or less.   JImChuk

Fabric Covering SuperSTOL Fuselage using Poly-Fiber System - YouTube

2 people like this