Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ELT

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I have an older AK-450 ELT that was taken out of a certificated aircraft about a year ago. Wonder about its suitability in an experimental. What are you guys using? 

Posted

You can still use them, but you should probably test them more frequently.  Also, part of the original certification of those included the panel mounted remote. If you don't have that then it technically isn't legal. Even with it you are really just satisfying the requirement to have an ELT if you have 2 or more seats. If that is your only intent then the AK-450 will do that.

Personally, my project kitfox had a AK-450 installed and I opted to replace it with a Artex ELT345, which is a 406/121.5 MHz ELT. It has a couple benefits.  First the 406 MHz is picked up by satellites and the signal can include a GPS location for immediate notification of position to emergency responders. Mine will have the GPS location in the signal via an inexpensive GPS ($15). You don't get that position reporting with 121.5 MHz ELTs. They transmit to ground stations and then they have to try to triangulate your position. I will be flying my airplane to see relatives who live in remote areas with lots of forest. I work as a NTSB investigator and I can tell you that airplanes have been lost in the woods not to be found for several years or at least long enough for help to be too late. If I am unfortunate enough to have an accident, I don't want to wait any longer than necessary for help and a few hundred dollars for a little piece of mind is well worth it in my book. I look at it this way, I'll pay for insurance to cover the airplane at probably at least $1500/year, and the new ELT is like insurance for me at $688 just once, not annually.

Posted

Thanks for your answer.  FAR 91 says a personal or automatic ELT is required. What is meant by personal? Do any of the handheld PLB's meet that requirement?

Posted

Specifically it says "approved personal type", so that tells me it has to have FAA approval. Also PLBs are not crash activated, so if you are not capable of activating it, it is useless. An ELT is automatically activated in a crash. Maybe its my job, but I just don't see how saving a few hundred dollars is worth it. Best solution in my book is an ELT and a PLB.

Posted

109jb, I'm curious about your $15 GPS.  I have a GPS in my Stratux, a GPS in my DIY ESIS, and the one built into my tablet.  Nothing feeding my ELT.  That seem silly.

Posted

109jb, I'm curious about your $15 GPS.  I have a GPS in my Stratux, a GPS in my DIY ESIS, and the one built into my tablet.  Nothing feeding my ELT.  That seem silly.

The Artex ELT345 can take a NMEA string through serial and if present will broadcast location with the emergency signal if an accident happens. The nice thing is it uses standard NMEA sentences, so any GPS that can do serial will work. I am using an inexpensive NEO-8M GPS like in the picture that can be bought on Amazon for about $12. it has to be fed 5V, but I have a 5V bus in my airplane so not a problem. There are only 3 wires to hook up, 5V+. GND, and serial out from the GPS. You do have to reprogram the baud rate on the GPS to 4800 to match the Artex and you have to make sure the Artex you buy is for 4800 baud. the 9600 baud ELT won't work with NMEA.

GPS for Artex.jpg

1 person likes this