AVID Model C new empty weight

7 posts in this topic

Posted

After 6 months of rebuilding and completing a new instrument panel, custom exhaust, radiator for the Subaru NSI engine.  Straightening the horizontal stab and elevator.   My Avid Model C empty weight on certified digital scales and leveled at the door weighed in at 645lbs.  A 21 pound decrease since she was last weighed in 2014 at 666lbs. 

Most of the weight came off the nose engine area from the new aluminum radiator and Custom exhaust.  For avionics I installed a Garmin Aera 560 portable nav in the left corner on the glare shield, (custom mount), single Garmin G5 with my Aera Navigator integrated with a magnetometer for HSI functions.  Garmin GTR200BT comm,  GPS airport following provided by Aera560,  Garmin GTX327 transponder (new!, but fabricated backing plate), Altitude information from RS232 from the G5 GPS.   A UAvionix Echo w/ SkyFX for ADSB in and NEXRAD weather on my IPad mini.  All this is due to being my yellow girl based at KMYF, San Diego.  A newly installed J3 tail spring and pneumatic Matco tail wheel raised the tail and lowered the angle of attack.  I have both 6x6.00 Airtrac and 6x8 Tuff tires.  Currently we mounted the 6x600 for the paved runways. 

The original Red Kitfox 4 that tested the NSI engines for Lance Wheeler back in the 90’s is based at KL18 Fallbrook California, and we flew it two weeks ago with it’s owner and I.   His Subaru NSI, warp drive prop was pulling like a freight train!  Our next process is to get my plane’s condition inspection completed and start the “Test Flying” comparisons. Model C to Kitfox 4.

I believe this Avid hasn’t flown since 2014. TT 1748.9.  9 hours of recent ground runs.  I want to Thank Mike in Indiana for having the faith that I could resurrect this Avid. 

Pictures will be posted after my stupid IPhone charges.  

3 people like this

Posted

We need pictures!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

What was your cg # for w&b

Posted

Hello, 

Sorry for the delayed response, a minor medical issue that slowed my roll! Blood clot in the coconut, but I am alive and still experimenting! Lol

The CG with the new lighter weight was nose heavy at 9.2 inches.  The elevators have two existing fixed trim tabs countering the original nose heavy CG before my work.  I had to add 11lbs at the tail post ( leverage) and we are now at 10.5 CG with no fuel empty.  I made two rails to add or subtract weight near the tail as needed.  Remember my plane has the NSI EA81. I used the CG calculation found on the forum for measuring and leveling.  Same as the build manual.  She has an original 10 gallon right wing tank and a 14 left wing tank. She was flown at 1250 during the original fly off when signed off. 

Does my CG appear sound, and I believe my CG be closer to 11 with full fuel. 

It originally had two deep cycle lead acid Duracell batteries one 22lb battery below and aft of the turtle deck, and one 8 lb where the picture shows it.  The 22 pounder was removes then I added the 11lb ballast farther aft which brought the CG in.

CF14FB84-3AE5-424A-B7D6-E57952D4CF36.jpeg

713A0A06-6258-40C7-B1AD-A54A86FD6792.jpeg

Posted

I just did some calculations, and using my empty CG when I added 30 lbs of fuel in the wing tank, and 175 lb pilot, it moved the CG back 1.1"  Looked at your other post this morning, and wonder if those small wires coming from the battery will be enough to crank the engine?  Long run to the starter.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Good catch Jim.

Posted

Thanks for the CG information. I am glad it moved back an inch with fuel.  

Good question about the battery cables.  I checked it out thoroughly, and the ground plate is welded to the airframe and a 3/8 bolt is welded to the plate!  This is the reason the tail isn’t skinned yet.  The picture doesn't due justice for the wire gauge.  My 1963 Mini Cooper battery is located in the boot. (Trunk) and I ran 0 gauge due to the old school starter and amperage needed to spin it.  

The subaru EA81 cranks robustly and the cables don’t heat up as long as I don’t spend time on the starter.  Plus all of the terminals are installed with a proper crimper. It’s good being an owner of an Avionics shop. 

Starter applying skin today.. 

1 person likes this