Heated Seat

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Jim I was out flying for a couple of hours, 10F.  Not to bad with my good old electric seat heater from Wally World.  Have you tried them? For about $15 they are a pretty good bargain.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just the seat cover style or did you go fancy and put them inside the upholstery?

Posted (edited)

Back in the ultralight days, I would put my $20 JC whitney heated seat pad into my snowmobile suit, just before getting into the plane.  I would run the cord out of the bottom of the zipper.  Had to run it on low or I would cook myself.  And Larry, my recently sold Christavia project had a built in electric heated seat in it for the pilot.  Not sure how much use it will ever see as it went to Galveston Tx area.  I should get another seat pad, I think the old one no longer works.  JImChuk

PS  It hasn't been above zero since last Friday afternoon, and isn't forcast to get above zero again till next Monday.  Plane is just sitting, although I did take the snomobile for a little run in the woods this afternoon.  Saw 6 deer.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Dont they pull a lot of amps?

Posted

In the ultralight, mine was running fine off a 447 rotax with no battery.  Not sure how much the 447 puts out.  JImChuk

Posted

Just the seat cover style or did you go fancy and put them inside the upholstery?

no it’s just the seat cover style.

Posted

Dont they pull a lot of amps?

I will have to look and see if there is a tag but I would guess a couple of amps.  I known I checked it out when I bought but that has been 7 or so years ago.

1 person likes this

Posted

Probably not before it flies, but I'm planning to put heaters inside the cushions on my project. I know for those built in retrofit sets they are 3 amps on low 5 amps on high for one seat, both butt and back. 

Posted (edited)

How cold of weather are you guys flying in? I usually draw the line at -5F. Cockpit is toasty at those temps. It’s been hovering around -30 to -40 this week so in hibernation at the moment.

Edited by Snipe

Posted

Last time I was flying it was about +5 F.  I was running the heater fan all the time, and I was dressed real warm.   My heater core is very restrictive, and I'll probably change it out eventually.  I would rather have more heat available then what I need.   What are you using for heat?  I just checked, and we are at -31 right now.  Coldest last night was -33.   JImChuk

Posted

I'll crank it up in the morning and go at -5, as long as in a few hours the sun will help me out a little and bring it up to 10 or 15 at least.

Pretty wussy compared to the guys in the far north that have been going out in -30 or worse over the last hundred years or so!

I read those books...  I'm good with that level of participation ;)

2 people like this

Posted

Last time I flew it was about 20 F out, but that was in my Sonerai that has absolutely no heat and not the greatest sealed cockpit around.  I'll probably install seat warmers in that one.

1 person likes this

Posted

last time I got to fly it was around 75 to 80F But on the bright side I did hook up my heater this winter.

Posted

I use a exhaust muff for heat it puts out plenty of warm air. At -5F cockpit is comfortable in a sweat shirt jeans long Jon’s and bare hands. Doors seal up tight and I fly with vents open. I preheat cockpit and engine before flight so it’s warm right off the start. I could fly in colder temps but if I don’t have to go I don’t. -47 with wind chill here this morning and a 172 was out flying pipelines when the sun started to shine. 

Posted

Snipe, what engine are you running?  JImChuk

Posted

912UL

Posted (edited)

We are all spoiled this year, I haven't even seen 40 below yet (though I haven't paid close attention on the coldest days) let alone the real cold.

When I used to fly the open-air Trike on skis, I used one of those car seat heaters, about 5 amps.

Edited by marcusofcotton

Posted

Those electric seat heaters sound like a good idea. Has anyone tried out those Milwaukee electric jackets? They should keep you warm before and after the flight also. 

Posted

Those electric seat heaters sound like a good idea. Has anyone tried out those Milwaukee electric jackets? They should keep you warm before and after the flight also. 

I bought one of those electric jackets, but haven't used it much in the plane.  It didn't seem to do much, and the battery is real small. The seat pad gave way more heat without the hassle of recharging it.  I ordered another one.  And Mark, the weather man said Cotton, Mn was -46 night before last....  JImChuk

Posted

Don't have one personally but a friend has a Dewalt heated jacket and loves it. Runs off the 20v tool batteries so if used on an aircraft with marginal charging system would not strain the aircraft electrical system/battery. Thought about this too for my Sonerai. Hopefully warmweather gets here and I can forget about it until next year.

Posted

... And Mark, the weather man said Cotton, Mn was -46 night before last....  JImChuk

Insert pic of monkey covering his ears.

That official weather station is two miles straight east of me. I thought it felt a little extra chilly.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a Dewalt electric coat and love it. It has elements in the sleeves, collar, chest and back. I use it all fall and spring Turkey hunting.  It uses 20v batteries. 

Posted

I bought one of those electric jackets, but haven't used it much in the plane.  It didn't seem to do much, and the battery is real small. The seat pad gave way more heat without the hassle of recharging it.  I ordered another one.  And Mark, the weather man said Cotton, Mn was -46 night before last....  JImChuk

I hear you on recharging...there is way to many things to recharge daily.

Posted (edited)

Power draw for seat heaters? I checked two that are sold at Walmart, both were 48 watts, about 4 amps. Easy load for even a 582 (175 watts total).

https://www.sojoyusa.com/product/universal-12v-heated-car-seat-heater-heated-cushion-warmer-high-medium-low-temp-switch-45-minute-timer-black/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Asdomo-Car-Seat-Heater-Cushion-Warmer-Cover-Winter-Heated-Warm-High-Low-Temperature-12V-Heated-Seat-Cover/997437231

And 1avidflyer, for temps below -30, they invented GPS so you can easily find Key West!

Edited by nlappos
2 people like this