Luga NR prop selection

72 posts in this topic

Posted

175-ish inch pounds of torque.  The rest is pretty straight forward.

thanks for that.

I also notice there is no mounting hardware came with it so will have to find some in N America I can’t wait for them to come from overseas.

Posted (edited)

I needed different size hardware for mine.

I ordered online and I believe the grade needed is 8.8.  I cross drilled them for safety wire myself.  Metric bolts dot com or some such place...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

175-ish inch pounds of torque.  The rest is pretty straight forward.

thanks for that.

I also notice there is no mounting hardware came with it so will have to find some in N America I can’t wait for them to come from overseas.

I got all the bolts with mine.  They were allen head metric bolts.  I'm still waiting for the prop for the ULS.  He said he was going to ship it last Monday, but I never got any tracking numbers.  Hate to bug him two much.  Maybe I'll send him an email later.  I sent him the money on March 23, and he got it the next day I think and he did acknowledge getting it.  JImChuk

Posted

He sent me a lengthy letter when I inquired about were my prop was. He said the Amazon like company that owned the building he was in gave him the boot and then he was also shut down due to the flu so it sounded like he was or still is a one man show for time being.

Posted

I was doing a bit of eyeballing the old prop vs new for blade to cowl clearance, with prop pitched fairly course which is likely to course there is about 1/2 clearance between back of blade and cowl. Will I need a spacer? I am going to use a spinner like the one Tjay has so no clearance needed there.

Posted (edited)

If you have 1/2" clearance, it should be fine I would think.  Especially if the tighter area is close to the hub, and not further out on the blades. JImChuk

PS.  Roman told me the same thing about getting the boot from he work area...

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I was doing a bit of eyeballing the old prop vs new for blade to cowl clearance, with prop pitched fairly course which is likely to course there is about 1/2 clearance between back of blade and cowl. Will I need a spacer? I am going to use a spinner like the one Tjay has so no clearance needed there.

I had to get a 1" spacer to make mine work.

Posted

Larry whats different about you setup vs mine because? I've put a Luga on my Kitfox and I didn't have to add a spacer and I've got plenty of room

Posted

Larry whats different about you setup vs mine because? I've put a Luga on my Kitfox and I didn't have to add a spacer and I've got plenty of room

The original builder of my plane did a horrible job on the cowling and I never took the time to fix it during the rebuild.

That's probably the difference.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I heard the mail man honk his horn this morning, and when I went out there, he had some things for me.  Not just my NR prop for the 100 HP ULS, but a set of brand new carbs, intake manifolds, and fuel pump.  So I was a happy camper for two reasons.  JImChuk

PS, anyone wanting carbs, this is a good deal.  Cost me $1300 shipping included for everything there.  I think rotax gets about 1500 for each carb.   Badass powersports in Canada.  

PS PS  I just looked at leading edge prices, and without the carbs which I couldn't find a price for, I was up to about $1500.  Wow!

20210521_110725.jpg

20210521_105031.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

There  is kind of a funny situation there, I'm not sure what the real situation is, but I sort of think they may be sales men with the props coming from the same place.  Roman's emai address is this  nrprop@ukr.net   I think Meglin, the guy who is connected with the Luga props is the guy who usually advertises on barnstormers.  I think the Kiev props come from the same place as well.  I am probably going to order another one, so that says something.  JImChuk

Hello, dear Jim! I am finally here again, and if necessary, I will be happy to answer any questions. As you've noticed, our propellers are really good. We have accumulated enough information on the operation to remove the resource restrictions. After the end of the period indicated in the passport, each operator can independently extend the service life for the next 100 hours after the inspection. The number of such extensions is not limited. About the extension of the resource, an entry is made in the passport. We have accumulated enough experience in using our propellers on Rotax, Jabiru and automotive conversions.

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_0586.JPG

Edited by meglin

Posted

I haven't used my new prop, but fly all the time with the first one on the 80 HP 912.  I'm happy with it.  JImChuk

Posted

I am very happy.

These blades were developed by our test pilot and designer Pavel Dimitrov in Kharkiv in 1995-97. They were very successful. Pavel unfortunately died last summer, his plane hit the wires and burned down. For me, these blades now serve as a reminder of my older friend.

Later they were modified for different engine sizes and capacities. New technological hubs were developed. At the request of the American builders of RV aircraft, particularly strong blades were designed for engines without a gearbox: Lycoming, Continental, Jabiru.

Now the American champions are using even more robust options, even on engines with a capacity of 300 hp.

Recently, an elliptical blade has appeared, which is still in limited demand due to low popularity.

Rossip.jpg

image 2.gif

2 people like this

Posted

The latest development is a huge 79-82" diameter propeller blade that Steve uses. Now there is a huge queue behind these blades.

ptn8.jpg

Posted

I am trying to figure what length of a schmitar luga prop for my 912UL 80hp powered Merlin E-Z. I have a 2 blade 74 inch Ivoprop on it now.

Looking at a 2 blade or 3 blade schmitar. What length on a 80hp 912?

Did you end up with an IVO to sell?   I am looking to buy; 

Posted

No I sold my Merlin with the IVO and sold the Luga to another guy. Looking back I wish I would have tried the Luga. The plane I own now had a timed out Hartzel CS and I replaced it with a MT wow what a difference plus it was 28 lbs lighter

Posted

The photos have just been sent by a happy customer from a very distant country:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I need a 2 blade NR spinner!

Posted

I have one I don't use...but I live in canada.

L.

1 person likes this

Posted

Spinners are different. 8, 9, 10".

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sent off the spinner for the 2-blade propeller yesterday.

1000001150.jpg

Edited by meglin

Posted

To date I have in stock: 
1) 3-blade 177 cm (70"), pulling right with 75/101,6 mm hub, saber-shaped - for Rotax-912/914, 
2) 3-blade pulling right 180.5 cm (71"), 75 mm hub, truncated saber - for Rotax-912/914, 
3) wooden propeller 140 cm (55.1") left pulling for Sauer S2100, 
4) wooden decorative 130 cm (55.1") with built-in barometer.