Luga NR prop selection

72 posts in this topic

Posted

Prop or scale?  :-)   Well I got up for a short flight this evening.  Was turning up 5225 static on the ground, but the prop sure hooked up to the air when I was climbing out.  Full throttle was 5025 to 5050.  About 25 % less climb then I had with the warp.  Definatly gained in cruise though.  was doing 100 MPH at about 5150.   Brought it back and repitched it again,  maybe a bit underpitched now.  Showed 5585 static.  By then it was dark, so hopefully I'll fly it again tomorrow and see where it is.  If I loose 200 rpm when it's climbing out it may be right on.  

Posted

I am looking forward to getting mine.

Posted

Can't wait to hear how the prop is doing with some more rpm's. 

Posted

I also run mine with the high rpm. Flat and level I can reach 3600 RPM.  Climb is pulling exactly 3300 RPM

Posted

Well I flew for 1.2 hrs this evening.  Climbed out at about 5450-5500.  Didn't seem to be any better then the Warp, although it was a little warmer today then the last times I flew with the warp drive prop.  Cruise speed was maybe just a tad better, maybe about 3-5 mph at same rpm.  And funny thing, it didn't seem to be any smoother then the Warp.  In fact, when I first took off, I thought is wasn't as smooth as I remembered the warp to be.  But after flying for close to an hour, it seemed smooth.  Don't think it got better, so who knows how well we  (I)  remember things.  Some kind of vibration gauge would not come up with false impressions, but I don't have one, even if they exist.  I suppose they do.  I am going to put some more pitch in though, maybe slow the static rpm down by 100-150 rpm.  Well, so far, these are my impressions.  It's prettier then the Warp two blade 72" square tip prop.  It's cheaper to buy, especially when you factor in the SS leading edge protection.  Warp now gets $85 per blade for that, can't say it's any smoother, but I am probably going to paint the tips, and will check the balance before and after, it's possible they aren't perfect.  I imagine they are capable of balancing a prop better then I am, but nobody's perfect, and we all make mistakes once in a while.  I will also double double check the pitch settings on each blade so that unequal pitch settings aren't giving any vibrations.   Performance wise, I think it will end up in about the same place as the Warp, maybe a slight improvement, compared to my three blade IVO I started off with, both the Warp and NR perform better.  So the jury is still out for final opinions, but it is a nice prop, and I would buy another.  Funny thing, I sent Roman an email a day after I got my prop pricing their next larger size, what they recommend for the 912 100 HP, and I haven't heard back from him yet.   Maybe they are to busy filling orders???  JImChuk

Posted

I also run mine with the high rpm. Flat and level I can reach 3600 RPM.  Climb is pulling exactly 3300 RPM

TJay,  did you try at different pitch settings and see if it climbed much better at the higher rpm?  I climb with my Jabiru at about 3100 or a bit less, and it seems like a good compromise between climb and cruise.  With the Avid, I can't push it over 100 MPH, at full throttle, but it will do 95 with a good bit less then full throttle.  The Avid drag wall I guess.  JImChuk 

Posted

I did and mine is way better at higher rpm but i did lose 8mph doing that.  Mine would never hit 100 with this setup 90mph tops. The first time I set mine up I was way over pitched it did 100 then but climb was poor and I noticed it was hard to slow it down on landing.

Posted

Thanks for the reply TJay.  What rpm and speed do you cruise at?   I got a reply back from Roman for the 100 HP prop.  $660 total for SR107 72 1/2" prop including shipping.  The weakening US dollar has an effect, no doubt.  3 months ago it was $593.  I know Rotax raised their engine prices by more then 10% not to long back.  It's only money, right???  JImChuk

Posted

How are you contacting Roman? I tried the website for a quote and didn't receive a reply.

Posted

Email seems to be the way.  I've been trying to order one from Roman at: lugaprop@ukr.net

He uses a translator, so communications is a little difficult.  Half my questions don't get answered in each exchange.

Posted

Email seems to be the way.  I've been trying to order one from Roman at: lugaprop@ukr.net

He uses a translator, so communications is a little difficult.  Half my questions don't get answered in each exchange.

Ha I think he is busy busy I believe he likes it when you tell him what you want send the money and sit back and wait.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply TJay.  What rpm and speed do you cruise at?   I got a reply back from Roman for the 100 HP prop.  $660 total for SR107 72 1/2" prop including shipping.  The weakening US dollar has an effect, no doubt.  3 months ago it was $593.  I know Rotax raised their engine prices by more then 10% not to long back.  It's only money, right???  JImChuk

3000rpm is where my engine loves to be and that gives 80mph indicated airspeed. I have tried lower rpm for cruise but it runs smoothest at 3000 and makes good power there.  Seems like every plane and engine tells you where it wants to be.

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

There  is kind of a funny situation there, I'm not sure what the real situation is, but I sort of think they may be sales men with the props coming from the same place.  Roman's emai address is this  nrprop@ukr.net   I think Meglin, the guy who is connected with the Luga props is the guy who usually advertises on barnstormers.  I think the Kiev props come from the same place as well.  I am probably going to order another one, so that says something.  JImChuk

Posted

There  is kind of a funny situation there, I'm not sure what the real situation is, but I sort of think they may be sales men with the props coming from the same place.  Roman's emai address is this  nrprop@ukr.net   I think Meglin, the guy who is connected with the Luga props is the guy who usually advertises on barnstormers.  I think the Kiev props come from the same place as well.  I am probably going to order another one, so that says something.  JImChuk

and then there’s Kool props. Roman says mine is being shipped on Monday. Can’t wait

Posted

I sent more $ today for another one.  It will be for a 100 HP.  It's a two blade  SR-107 and is 73" in diameter.   JImChuk

Posted

Are you Juicing up the Kitfox?

Posted

:dunno::dunno: Not sure,  I should be picking up my 912 100 HP that I had gone through near the end of this week.  Not sure what I will do with it.  Maybe I'll even try this new prop on the 80 HP to compare for starters.   Performance with 80 HP is real good as it is, I really don't need more power then that.   But still, who doesn't want more power??? JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I got another hr + in the Kitfox this evening.  It was a good bit warmer then the last time I flew. 55-60 F.   Maybe 40 degrees warmer then the last times.  I'm wondering if I am really seeing any improvement with the NR over the two blade Warp I have been running.  I was going 96 MPH according to the GPS averaged two ways at 5175 rpm though, so that wasn't to bad.  I was at 250' at the end of my strip, where I've seen 400' with the Warp.  Granted it was at a good bit cooler temps.  I do think I'll swap the 80 HP out though and put the just gone through 100 HP once I get the new prop and such.  Funny how you think you have plenty of power until you find out you can have more..... JImChuk

Posted

Funny how you think you have plenty of power until you find out you can have more..... JImChuk

Then you make a call to Hal for a Zipper kit...

1 person likes this

Posted

I think the ULS will scratch the itch for a while at least....  What are you running for a prop now Larry?  Does your zipper kit make 105 HP?  What is the full throttle climb out rpm you are seeing?  Thanks   JImChuk

Posted

I think the ULS will scratch the itch for a while at least....  What are you running for a prop now Larry?  Does your zipper kit make 105 HP?  What is the full throttle climb out rpm you are seeing?  Thanks   JImChuk

Yes, 105 hp through a 72" Luga 2-blade.  Climb out at 5700 RPM, 1700 FPM on a cool day.

Posted

What does the 5700 rpm climb out do for your cruise speed Larry?  What speed do you get at say 5500?   Do you have the SR-107 prop? Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted

Yes, I do believe it's the R107 model prop. 

5500 is about 95-100 mph in smooth air.  I see 110-115 at 6000.  I could get a lot more speed if I pitched up a bit, but I prefer the climb performance.

1 person likes this

Posted

My NR Prop arrived but no installation information with it. Is there a link somewhere I can get information.

Posted

175-ish inch pounds of torque.  The rest is pretty straight forward.