Luga NR prop selection

72 posts in this topic

Posted

I am trying to figure what length of a schmitar luga prop for my 912UL 80hp powered Merlin E-Z. I have a 2 blade 74 inch Ivoprop on it now.

Looking at a 2 blade or 3 blade schmitar. What length on a 80hp 912?

Posted

I ordered a SR 106 from NR props..   2 blade 1770 length.   That is for my 80 HP 912.   I have found two blade props to perform better then 3 blade props, although they are not as smooth.  Cheaper for two blade then three as well.  I believe that Luga and NR are the same company or at least sell the same props.   JImChuk

Posted

I have a 2 blade 74 inch Ivoprop and getting a bit of vibration above 5000 rpm. It’s tight and carbs are balanced. I am leaning towards a 3 blade because they are normally a bit smoother but I have two different lengths recommended by 2 suppliers 67 inches and 72 inches. You are in the middle with a 69 inch two blade. Now I am really confused 

Posted (edited)

The prop I'm getting was recommended by Roman at NR props..   Another poster on here (little rocket)  had a two blade NR on a Kitfox 4, and a friend of his has one on Avid.  Both with 80 HP 912.  He said they were very smooth 

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thanks 1avid I think I will lean towards sr106 two blade. 

1 person likes this

Posted

That is the same prop that I have.  It is a great LIGHTWEIGHT prop that performs very well.

Posted

That is the same prop that I have.  It is a great LIGHTWEIGHT prop that performs very well.

I have the same prop / 2 bladed scimittar shape on my rotax 100Hp...works great

Posted (edited)

It will be ordered today. The engine builder from Alberta that is bringing it in for me strongly recommend the R107 schmitar 3 blade for my 80 hp 912 he has a 2 blade hub that I can use also to compare. The only thing that could go wrong is I will be underpowered and I will have to explain to my other half that I need a 912 ULS or a new Edge125hp to spin my prop:o

Edited by Snipe

Posted

It's up to you of course, but Roman recommended the R 107  for a 100 HP Rotax, but the 106 for the 80 HP.  I asked him specifically for both engines.  The blades on the 107 are 5" wide, and on the 106 are 4 1/2" wide.  My Kitfox 4 with 80 HP really performs well with a two blade 72" square tip Warp drive prop, and I think it will do better with the NR prop.  Having to much prop is not good either.  But either way, it's up to you.  I'm just passing on what I was told.  Up till now I have no first hand experience with the NR prop.  Funny thing with my prop, it had cleared Ukraine customs on 1/13/2021.  On Monday, the tracking showed that it had returned back to Kiev, Ukraine.  I got an email from Roman saying he was looking into it, to see what the issue was.  JImChuk

Posted

I am hoping it works if it’s to much I will use it as a two blade. The fellow That ordered it for me said he has tried about 30 props on his Rans and said better performance with a schmitar blade was with a blade longer than what Roman recommended especially on a slow fat wing plane If It was for a speedy RV his recommendation would be spot on. Roman recommended a 72 inch two blade Jason thought 76. I will post the results here when it arrives. 1avid I think you will love that Luga from what I remember from long conversation is the prop I am using was at the bottom of the barrel for performance warp was one from the bottom. There was a real skinny multi blade prop he mentioned that has great potential but long enough blades for the power he is developing weren’t available then.

Posted

It's up to you of course, but Roman recommended the R 107  for a 100 HP Rotax, but the 106 for the 80 HP.  I asked him specifically for both engines.  The blades on the 107 are 5" wide, and on the 106 are 4 1/2" wide.  My Kitfox 4 with 80 HP really performs well with a two blade 72" square tip Warp drive prop, and I think it will do better with the NR prop.  Having to much prop is not good either.  But either way, it's up to you.  I'm just passing on what I was told.  Up till now I have no first hand experience with the NR prop.  Funny thing with my prop, it had cleared Ukraine customs on 1/13/2021.  On Monday, the tracking showed that it had returned back to Kiev, Ukraine.  I got an email from Roman saying he was looking into it, to see what the issue was.  JImChuk

I had one get 6 miles from my house and the wonderful post office sent it all the way back to Ukraine. Poor Roman had to pay shipping the second time out of his own pocket to resend it. I offered to pay the second shipping and he said not to worry about it. Thats a good guy.

Posted

Speaking about goofy shipping stories, last summer I sold that Christavia project to a guy in Texas.  He sent a check for half the amount in a Priority mail envelope.  Tracking kept showing it between Mn and Texas, going back and forth.  I finally asked the manager at the post office, and she looked into it.  The Texas return address zip code was written in kind of large numbers, and when it would get to Mn, the scanner was reading the Texas zip code, and sending it back.  The manager was able to over ride the machines and the next time it hit Mn, it came to me.   I finally got it after he paid me with a bank transfer, and so I wrote void on the check, tore it into little pieces and then burned it.  Sent him pictures of the first two actions.  Not the first time I burned up thousands of dollars with these airplanes.  But it all ended well that time at least.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Well today I got an email from Roman with the shipping receipt showing that my prop had shipped from Poland yesterday.  So now I will be able to watch and see if it moves through the shipping system this time.....JImChuk

Posted

Jimchuck  what length of prop are you getting? I've got a 68" I wish it was a 72 but going from a 3 blade GSC its an amazing upgrade. 

Posted

Mine is 70" long.  1770 MM.  Two blade.  Hope it's enough prop.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Got an email today saying my prop has cleared US customs.  It got to them the day before.  Maybe I'll have it in a week or so.  JImChuk

Posted

Mailman brought me a big box today from Ukraine.  All was good.  I'm happy.  I'll have pictures once they get to my inbox.  Phone is slow today???? JImChuk

Posted

oh boy your gonna love how smooth it is.  I'm excited to hear the difference between your warp drive vs luga. All i had to compare was an old wooden prop and that was a night and day difference. 

Posted

A few pics.  JImChuk  

20210315_121313.jpg

20210315_121329.jpg

20210315_121343.jpg

20210315_121355.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

When I first installed mine I was a bit nervous because I thought there should be spacers between those hubs for the bolts to go through but in 100hrs it is still doing great. Enjoy.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well I had to take the skis off today, and then I did some testing with the Warp drive before I pulled it off.  I pulled 390 lbs of static thrust with it, and if the plane had been sitting on 3 flat and level boards, I don't doubt it would have been over 400.  I didn't finish getting the NR dialed in today, ran out of time after one guess.  It looked like to much pitch to me, and it sure was.  I'll get it tuned in tomorrow.  Then I'll do a static test with it just to see what it will do.    JImChuk

PS  sure is a pain in the neck working alone sometimes.  I had to tape my phone to the front axel on the tractor, and the scale was hooked on close by.  Film a video of the static run, and then get a screen shot of the result....

20210316_170803.jpg

Screenshot_20210316-222648_Video Player.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Nice scale, make ,model, Who sells?

Posted

Well I got the prop dialed in today, have to see what it does when I fly it to see if I want more or less pitch.  I was turning 5225 full throttle today, and I pulled just under 398 lbs on the scale.  That's 8 more then the warp at a bit over 200 less rpm.  It is a bit more finniky to get adjusted then the warp though.  I have a fixture that i built that uses a laser to shoot a dot 20' across the hangar.  When you would tighten the bolts, the laser would walk off to the side.  Finally got it with in 1/16" from one blade to the other.  Just running though some math, and that is less then 1/64 of a degree.  Can't get better then that I'm thinking.  JImChuk

20210317_164347.jpg

Screenshot_20210317-155600_Video Player.jpg

Posted

Thanks Jim, I just ordered one