Rotax 582 RaDIATOR CAP Woes

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The 1993 KitFox II with a Rotax 582 model 90 gray head I recently purchased and now working on the conditional inspection . The Radaitor Cap was the 6-8 PSi one that needed to be changed to the 13 psi one. Searching all forums I was lead to a cheap alternative which was a Motorbike Radiator Cap A Triumph part number T2108005 I found one and ordered it For around $25. Great. well when I got it it was to small. was the information wrong? So much time was wasted looking for it I decided to go ahead and and order the Rotax part number 922-072 from Leading Edge Airfoil. Well guess what it to was to small and the Triumph was an exact match.
Leading Edge suggested calling KitFox cause he thought they shipped out the caps with the kits and that it was proably a standared automotive Cap. I was able to supply the Listed part number from the build manual E-62- Kitfox did not have a match for the Cap- He did search and found some histroy that Denny AeroCraft, purchased the radiator caps from a local parts store.They did not use the cooling system from Rotax. no parts number available. Wonder how much other automotive parts were used? I going to return part to Leading edge unless someone want to buy it, I also have the Triumph clone cap for sale.
So before I go to the auto parts store and They ask what vehicke is it for? so they can lookit up on the computer cause they don't know how to find parts otherwise.
Does any one have an autopart number for the automotive cap I need ?
Ill try to add photos
Ist photo is the Triumph Cap any my old Cap 2nd Triumph part number,.3 filler neck on plane  4 My cap and thr Rotax cap,
Thanks for any feedback and hope this helps some of us with the older kits

my cap and triumph cap.jpg

triumph cap number.jpg

filler neck.jpg

IMG_old and new rotax cap.jpg

Edited by Just Plane Mike
editing correction

Posted

Mike, If you can measure across the top of the opening of the fill tube in picture 3, I may have a filler tube like that in the hangar.  I could look to see if there was a cap with a part number on it.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is the same reply I posted on TeamKitfox a few minutes ago.

When I had to replace the cap on my 582 powered kitfox, I just took the old one to an auto parts store and told them I wanted a 13 psi cap. Guy walked in the back and came out with a 13 psi cap. Now this was a sort of old time auto parts store with an older guy who actually looked like he knew how to work on a car, not Autozone or O'Reillys where the workers are high school kids who think working on a car means putting bullet hole stickers on it, or installing the largest speaker known to man.

1 person likes this

Posted

Mike, If you can measure across the top of the opening of the fill tube in picture 3, I may have a filler tube like that in the hangar.  I could look to see if there was a cap with a part number on it.  JImChuk

Not at the Plane However , the measurement of the radiator cap the top gasket that fits on the rim is 2 inches, the lower gasket is 1 1/2'  thats on the spring that seats inside .

Posted

Here is the same reply I posted on TeamKitfox a few minutes ago.

When I had to replace the cap on my 582 powered kitfox, I just took the old one to an auto parts store and told them I wanted a 13 psi cap. Guy walked in the back and came out with a 13 psi cap. Now this was a sort of old time auto parts store with an older guy who actually looked like he knew how to work on a car, not Autozone or O'Reillys where the workers are high school kids who think working on a car means putting bullet hole stickers on it, or installing the largest speaker known to man.

Yep I know what you mean. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Go to any auto parts store and ask for the correct cap pressure u need, when i built my bluefox i bought a new cap from Orielly’s, get a parts guy that not dumb, and just tell him the pressure u want. Thats what Leni told me to do, mine was same size as automotive and newer snowmacines. 

2 people like this

Posted

So I am just pondering the cap/psi change and wondering what is going on?Back in the day I thought they wanted a lower psi to protect the rotary valve seal and keep from blowing antifreeze into the rotary valve oil. Think mine is actually a 10psi on my plane but just wondering why the move to a higher psi. 

2 people like this

Posted

I found the filler tube, and it had a cap on it.  13 lbs.  It's a Stant 229.  I'll try to post up a picture later.  JIMChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks I'll be looking

Posted

I see plenty of 100229 models caps

Posted

Here are some pics.  I think I saw a bunch that were 10299.  I think one could find a matching one by a different maker by googling the Stant one, and then take the numbers to the parts store.  If it doesn't work, it's easy to return then.  JImChuk

20210128_144223 (1).jpg

20210128_144230 (1).jpg

2 people like this

Posted

The lower radiator pressure was for the early 582's with the non ceramic seal for the water/ rotary seal. Later (blue top) or modified greys are ok with higher pressure.

2 people like this

Posted

Don't know if my 582 was modified. Is there a way to find out? Should I stay with the 6-8 psi cap?

Posted

Ps I have a Gray head.

Posted

I also have the grey head 582, im not sure what psi mine is id have to go look, but if i was u and if u where not having trouble of some kind wit ur cooling system, id stay with the same psi cap as u take off buddy. Least u know it worked. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The common manual for the gray and blue head 582's all call for the higher pressure now. 

Installation manual, all 582 models, gray and blue head:

pressure cap.jpg

2 people like this