ron walker's mohawk

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I am new to the forum.  I started building a mohawk about twenty years ago.  The fuselage is welded sitting on the gear. Thinking about starting up on the project again.  Wondering if anyone build one is the past.  The plans leaves a lot to desire.. 

Posted

Ok. on the mohawk, i am trying to make a sample wing rib.  The drawing for the wing rib in the plans or about 1" x3".  So i scan the whole page and sent it to a friend of mine who has a print shop.  He made it the actual size 9"x 29"  After cutting it out and making the rib it came out to 27.625" center spar.  My welding fuselage is 27.375 center of the mount pin on the aircraft.  So i cut of .375 off of the rear of the rib where it attaches the aft wing spar.  What do ya'll think.  The plans calls for 27.5" between center.  I have so many things that  i see coming up that i have questions about.  When i get the rib sample correct i will make a template and make all the ribs.  I will try to get a picture of what i am talking about when i firgure how this posting stuff works.  Thinking about using the speed wing rib and using the spar length the high lift wing.  Has any one don this. 

As for as i can see the mohawk is an avid a model copied.  Any thoughts

Posted

My first ride in an Avid was with a speed wing in full length wingspan.  It performed pretty well for climb, and the guy who owned it said he was 10 to 15 MPH faster at same rpm as friends with the stol wing profile.  That center to center dimension shouldn't matter as long as what you make fits your wing and fuselage.  A router table is a good tool for making duplicate parts like ribs.  I use a router bit like this.  It follows the pattern.  I cut within 1/4" or so with a saber saw then finish with the router table.  JImChuk

Bosch Flush Trim Profile Router Bit, Carbide Tipped, 1/2 In Cutter Dia. Model: 85266M

Posted

I just think that the wing pattern i have don't look right.  Under the wing doesn't follow the contour of the wing.  To make the rib cap meet the top rib cap it flow upward.  Hard to explain.  I will try to take picture tomorrow and post.  thanks for the tip.  That is how i made my sample rib.  This is my second aircraft i build.  I build a quickie 1 and flew it for 3years before i sold it.  Really enjoyed building and flying it.   

Posted

I don't have a speed wing rib, or I would make a trace of it and send it to you.  JImChuk

Posted

Wow, would you do that.  Man i would apprecitate it.  I would be glad to pay for it.  Tell me what i need to do.  I would also like to find the stol wing drawing also.  I live in Louisiana.  Do you know of any avid/kitfox people in Louisiana? 

Posted

Sorry, I don't have the speed wing rib.  I did send a tracing of the stol wing to STOLpacer20.  I see he got a complete set of ribs from Avid, so maybe he will send that tracing on to you???  JImChuk

Posted

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or comments on the rotax 582.  Trying to decide what engine to go with. 

Posted

My personal experience with the 582 has been exceptional. Reliable easy starting and great power to weight.