Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Scary power of computers

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  was over on facebook today, lately I've been shopping for a new computer, and yesterday I bought one.  Well today, I see an add on FB for a computer, and so just to compare what deal it was compared to my new one, I looked at it.  Price was $399.??  About 10 minutes later I get a call from a telemarketer saying there was a suspicious charge on my credit card for the same amount.  And I should check with them to verify that the charge was correct.  I paid for my PC with paypal.  That wasn't actually the amount that came out of my paypal account either, so it seems like the add on FB is what generated the call.  otherwise it seems like a heck of a coincidence.  Weird for sure.   Just who is the big brother that's watching us? Government or tech???  No wonder people are getting paranoid.  JImChuk

Posted

Haha yeah they listen too. We have a Alexa Echo Dot which I love and could never go without.  but every once and a while if we are by her talking about something among ourselves Sure enough it will start popping up on my computer later that night. 

Posted

Facebook is really bad about selling your data, unfortunately things like your IP and phone # are just commodities they feel entitled to make money with. Scammers are abundant since the tech to setup scams is cheap, and I guess there's plenty of scummy people out there who don't mind taking advantage of others to make a quick buck. 

It's not just Facebook though, basically every company sells your data openly & spies on you for targeted marketing (There are plenty of videos online of people taking new phones, making new accounts, and speaking casually around the speaker about products - which then show up in targeted ads). If you don't go out of your way to hide yourself (VPNs, alternate accounts, etc.) unfortunately digital privacy isn't a respected right.

Haven't heard of them calling about specific charges though, that's just freaky... Makes me want to chuck my phone in the river & never look back.

Posted

I quit using Google as a search  engine years ago after trying it because of all the ads they would insert in whatever I was trying to read online.  It's probably worse now.