Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaskan Avid RX-1 progress

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Just like to start out and say thanks to all of the members in amazing combined wealth of knowledge!

After a few lengthy setbacks with my engine mount. I was finally able to get it completed. Next task will be building a new firewall.

Still looking for a kit fox round cow or Avid MK for cowling to modify to fit my boot Cowl. Thanks! 

DB4898D0-198E-4357-B45F-7E1D3BA760EB.jpeg

5D4564C3-2564-4C29-A41F-5CE1FA301543.jpeg

343BF01D-0F4B-46CA-85AC-D2E8BDFD928C.jpeg

BD2A4089-19FE-4BFE-A962-7247AC2D344E.jpeg

CF959957-F897-4A40-969F-AF772B1A8242.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

Looking great! 

Oh and I haven't heard from marshawk here in awhile but look his posts up if you haven't seen them Tony.  He was one of first to do an RX1 in an avid.

Brett

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh and not a well thought through idea but one way to get some weight shift might be to run the oil tank back behind the seat.   

Not sure if it is a good idea due to the long run of oil lines but it would add some heat to the cabin too. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep i'm still ,kickin,haven' t did much flying for the last year and a half,was battling some health issues but they are under control, was at the hangar today and got the skis on and ran up the yamaha,still sounds great an ready to fly.

2 people like this

Posted

Brett thanks! I was going to mount my oil tank at the firewall airbox side. But that’s a good idea! 

Oh man tell me more! Marshawk what Avid? Did you work on this one with Teal? Stretched? 
So many questions:) sorry and Thanks! 

3387A799-C13E-4681-BBF6-4F9C3981E8E1.jpeg

Posted

I have the avid plus or fat avid, the fuselage was stretched 18" from factory, I bought the adapter plate that teal made and used the rotax c drive, I could use a quieter muffler but other than that it preforms very well.

1 person likes this

Posted

The more I think through the remote oil tank idea I wonder if might be problematic.

Part of me wonders if having the tank that far away might mess with the scavenge pump's ability to clear the extra oil out of the engine.  And also in a steep climb the tank might end up lower than the engine and how would the oil pump do in that case trying to lift out of the tank?

But then again, usually I overthink things that "might not work" and  am proven wrong when people go out and do them with no trouble. 

Like I always joke:  if everyone double thought things as much as I do, manned powered flight would still be theory LOL!

Posted

I have the avid plus or fat avid, the fuselage was stretched 18" from factory, I bought the adapter plate that teal made and used the rotax c drive, I could use a quieter muffler but other than that it preforms very well.

Oh yes I recall that one. Really nice job! Post more videos or pictures when you get time. Thanks 

Posted

The more I think through the remote oil tank idea I wonder if might be problematic.

Part of me wonders if having the tank that far away might mess with the scavenge pump's ability to clear the extra oil out of the engine.  And also in a steep climb the tank might end up lower than the engine and how would the oil pump do in that case trying to lift out of the tank?

But then again, usually I overthink things that "might not work" and  am proven wrong when people go out and do them with no trouble. 

Like I always joke:  if everyone double thought things as much as I do, manned powered flight would still be theory LOL!

Valid point. I had the thought of mounting it up high like a header fuel tank. Not sure the effort and worry would be worth it for the slight CG change. I could mount a decent size header tank aft of the baggage compartment.... For now I’ll go with lead in the tail and get other systems up and functioning. Appreciate the ideas! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Great progress, I hope we can get our Yamma powered Avids together once they are flying but if you get down in the Wasilla area, give me a shout.  Did you have Barak Langford build your engine mount and headers?  He said he was building for someone in Fairbanks so I think it might be you.

Keep up the progress and pictures!

Randy

Posted

Randy, yes love to stop in and say hi. Also a fly in would be great! 
I had headers already as this RX-1 was a flying take off to be replaced with an APEX. 

I did work with Barak to build a mount and sent the header for him to build around. This was his first RX-1 and he worked hard to make it fit but after a few set backs he realized there are differences between Apex and RX-1. At that point it was easier for me to complete the mount my self.  He’s a great welder and fabricator and probably has a jig built for the RX1 by now. I’d have no problem ordering from him in the future. 

1 person likes this