Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid stol wing

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I’m looking at an Avid to buy, I have read all the comments about what look for as for gross weight. This wing has 9 ribs 2 1/2” spars .187 thickness, that’s what the owner told me, 7/8” .083 lift struts, I have looked at the plane, before I new what to measure. Any help would be great, thanks Chris. Hopefully I will join the Avid flying community!

Posted

I guess I would ask, what is the wing span?  30' is Stol or Heavy Hauler version, 24' is speed wing version  The 7/8" dimension is diameter of the lift struts, but the .083" would usually be wall thickness of the spars that are used on Heavy Hauler or Aerobatic speed wings.  Not sure what the .187 thickness is referring to...  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess I would ask, what is the wing span?  30' is Stol or Heavy Hauler version, 24' is speed wing version  The 7/8" dimension is diameter of the lift struts, but the .083" would usually be wall thickness of the spars that are used on Heavy Hauler or Aerobatic speed wings.  Not sure what the .187 thickness is referring to...  JImChuk

Posted

Yes sir, I’ll get him to measure the wing span. If it’s 30’ and with the other measurements would the e gross Wt be 1150- 1200? I’m pretty sure the thickness on the spar is .083 or are there some other factors involved?

Posted

I believe the C model HH gross weight was 1050,  the MK IV HH gross weight was 1150.  Main things that made them Heavy Haulers was the 7/8" lift struts, .083" wall thickness on the spars, and rib spacing every 12" JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you again, another question, this plane has been de-registered and there’s no airworthiness certificate, what is the process to getting one? (No logs to speak of) I want to start over go through it, new fabric, 912, ect. 

Posted

Thank you again, another question, this plane has been de-registered and there’s no airworthiness certificate, what is the process to getting one? (No logs to speak of) I want to start over go through it, new fabric, 912, ect. 

De-registered and no airworthiness is a huge red flag. I for one would not buy an previously finished airplane that didn't have an airworthiness. You will have to get a new airworthiness certificate and probably have to try to get a brand new one as if it was a different airplane. Bottom line is the path is not guaranteed and some research is warranted. I would call the local FSDO and see what they say as far as options. The final alternative would be claiming it as a "built from parts" airplane but I'm not sure that always works and is certainly not guaranteed.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I did some checking, and the serial # is 190.  That would make it either an A or B model.  Don't remember what the number was when they switched from one model to the next.  I'm guessing it's a B model.  The kit was apparently registered in 1986, most likely when it was first bought.  The plane never recieved an airworthiness cetification, seems that it never was finished.  Eventually the registration expired in 2011.  I don't believe it's beyond hope, but I would start by talking with a DAR who would be inspecting the plane when you finished it to see what his thoughts are.  Also the FAA aircraft registrations office  in Oklahoma City, Ok.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

What would be the easiest way to find a DAR in my area? Thanks for your help. 

Posted

FAA has a list of them.  DAR = designated airworthiness representative.  Here is a link.  Designee Locator Search (faa.gov)

1 person likes this

Posted

I talked a gentleman at FSDO in Memphis, he said without the build records (which I don’t think there are any) I t would be hard to prove the 51% rule. The owner is checking his papers to see if the original builder had any? Hopefully he can find something!

Posted

The DAR is the guy who will make the determination on the extent of builder's logs required I believe.  Not everyone at the FSDO understand experimental aircraft to the same degree either.  Some kits were/are determined to meet the 51 % rule, and I think Kitfoxes and probably Avids are on that list.  Still it's best to talk to the DAR first and get his opinion.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes sir the current owner found some pictures and what I think are build logs. I’m going to look at them as soon as I can! Thanks and I will get in touch with a DAR as well.