Cabane Gear for the Avid+

27 posts in this topic

Posted

This gear is 8.5" taller than the stock Avid gear, plus the 30" tires.  The width fro CL to CL of the tires is 86".

I did put VG's on the flaperons in front of the actuated flaperon tabs (inboard 6') but I could not tell that they make any difference.  I found the sweet spot for the tabs is about 30 to 40 degrees down from the bottom of the flaperon with the flaps at between 20 to 26 degrees for shortest landings.

I have not used the TK-1's but the comparison test I read has them pretty close with the TK's absorbing a little better in the really rough but the ACME handling side loads with much better control.  The ACME's are lighter and less drag which is pretty significant on our little planes.  I lost about 5 to 7 mph when I put these on compared to my bungee gear with both having covered gear and fairings on all tubes.  I just got done fairing the shocks and rods and think I recovered about all I lost.

I have the T-3 on my tail and really like it.  My buddy changed out his T-3 on his Cub for the ACME suspension tail set up and says he can't tell any difference but it lowered his tail about 1" so he got a little more angle of attack.  I'll stick with the T-3 on the tail and bought is that he took off to put on the Mini-Plus (just chaged it to the lighter spring.

I have done some pretty hard landings with the new gear now with the ACME shocks and Bucky is right, it really does a good job of sticking the plane on the ground.

Posted

Awesome, thanks for sharing such detailed info on all your hard work with these mods!