STRUCTURAL ADHESIVE TO GLUE RIBS TO THE WING SPAR

12 posts in this topic

Posted

This is my first post on this forum.

Soon I will start rebuilding an Avid and 30 years have passed since its entry into service.

I ask the more experienced what kind of glue or adhesive is used to glue the ribs to the wing spars. Is there a recently released product or should the old be used?

Thanks for your comments.

Alessandro

(ITALY)

Posted

9460 hysol is the new go to epoxy and it has a 2 year shelf life.

1 person likes this

Posted

This works well also, it's what Kitfox used to supply.  It seems to last way longer then the hysol sitting on the shelf also.  A bit of a different mix ratio, 2-3 by volume, or 5-7 by weight, but if you use a small scale to do the measuring, it doesn't matter.  JImChuk    2216-GRAY-1P-PARTAB

2 people like this

Posted

I used the same 3M glue. It came with my kit in 1994. Still good. I used some last summer. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Usually the 'shelf life' of a product is how long it was tested and was still good.  It doesn't mean it was tested and was not good after that period, it is just the longest the manufacturer verified that it was good.  Of course, that also doesn't mean it IS good, just that it might or might not be - you are the 'test pilot'.

2 people like this

Posted

What is the cost for that set Jim? Just want to compare it to the Hysol Think I paid around $130 from kitfox a while back.

1 person likes this

Posted

It was $185.  Not cheap.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

But if it last ten years might me worth it to the average homebuilder.

1 person likes this

Posted

But if it last ten years might me worth it to the average homebuilder.

That's what I thought.  It wasn't that expensive the last time I bought it either... JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Just incase anyone wonders how to mix it up with a scale easily, here is what I do.   I have a small electronic scale that weighs in grams or ounces.  I weigh the disposable plastic cup I'm going to mix in, and write down the weigh of it.  Then I add somewhere close to half of the amount of epoxy I want.   Just for instance, say the cup weighs 7 grams, and I add 10 grams of the one part of the epoxy.  Total weight is now 17 grams.  Because the ratio it 5 to 7 mix of epoxies, and I have 10 grams of the one epoxy in the cup, I know I need 14 grams of the other epoxy to get the right mix.  So I dribble in the second epoxy till the cup weighs 31 grams and that is the right mix.   7 grams for the cup, 10 grams of the one epoxy and 14 grams of the other.  Total weight 31 grams.    Real simple and very accurate.  I use popsicle sticks to transfer the epoxy and to mix it with as well.   JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I just found a pint kit, two cans, on eBay for $165 with FREE shipping.  

Brad

Posted

If it was Hysol, I would be more worried  about shelf life with something from ebay.  Scotch weld lees worry, at least for me.  JImChuk