Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Digital Monitoring System for EA81

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently bought a Mk4 HH with a Subaru EA81 on the front. I am planning on cleaning up the panel to make space and to consolidate my inside view points (help keep my eyes outside). I'm trying to determine which if any digital monitoring systems offered for Experimental Aircraft, are compatible with the EA81. The only product I've been able to find, thus far, is the SDS equipment which seems to be setup for more than just monitoring. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Posted

I have an MGL engine monitor in both my Avid with Jabiru engine, and Kitfox, with 912 Rotax.  It is one 3 1/8" gauge that does flight log, hobbs, egt, cht, oil temp and pressure, volts, and maybe something else.  My gauges are the E1, and MGL doesn't make it any longer, but they still make pretty much the same thing but with a different name .   Here is a link to it from a distributor in England.  I've bought from them and would do it again.  Their prices are better then anyone else I've found.  JImChuk

MGL Blaze EMS-2 engine monitor - MGL Avionics UK (parts4aircraft.com)

Posted

Thanks, Jim! Maybe I could trouble you a little further in asking for a basic education on digital engine monitoring? I understand the principles of a digital monitor being programmed to receive specific signal ranges from sensors (very similar to the idea of analog gauges being calibrated to properly represent the signal it is receiving). I've been looking for a system that advertised compatibility with the EA81. Should I be looking, instead, for a system with the correct array of sensors? Or is it actually the common practice to find the system you like and use your ingenuity to bridge the gap? I'm really new to all of this and really look forward to learning from everyone.  

Posted

The MGL will be able to read the signal from most senders.  I would suggest that you download their manual, and you will get a better idea of what it will do.  I think it will work with no problems on a Subaru engine.  The same sender can work for either type of gauge.  What do you want to monitor?  Figure that out, and then look in the manual for hooking up to that.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim I went to the EMS-2 Blaze and it is really much nicer, easier to read more functions etc.

Rhine just about any monitor will work with any engine, find the features at the price range that suits you and go for it. 

2 people like this

Posted

Here is a picture of the panel I built in the Ktifox 4.  Works good.  Red warning light is showing on the MGL cause engine is stopped and there is no oil pressure...  All of the things you are monitoring can have a low or high alarm set to flash.   JImChuk

inst pan 10.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I am pleased with the MGL gauges in mine and I used them with both the EA81 and now the Rotax 912.  Jack used the MGL EFIS for his EA81.  Getting the correct senders and factors set is a bit of a challenge with a lot of trial and error initially to get some of them set up to read correctly.  I remember there were a couple that we gave up on and just ordered the MGL senders.  Very please with them and the newer instrument that I ordered to monitor some of the additional  Rotax engine info is even brighter and more colorful with very easy to read numbers and bar graphs.

Jim, I see you have an MGL radio in the new KF, how to you like it?

Randy

Posted

The radio is pretty good.  Seems to receive and send real nice and clear.  I got it from some one who was loosing their hearing, and they went to the latest MGL radio that had last message playback on it.  That would be a nice feature on all of these radios.  I would buy my radio all over again given a do over.  Course I paid about 3/8 of new, and it was like new.  (paid asking price)  JImChuk