Avid MKIV Engine Mount for Jabiru 2200

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am building a couple of motor mounts, for an Avid MKIV, based on what I believe was a Jabiru factory mount for the Avid. There are a few questions I wanted to pose to the community. First, has 5/8 OD .035” wall  4130n shown to be strong enough for the tubing or has there been movement to .049” wall? . Second, does the MKIV require any downward bias on the motor center thrust line (ie. 5 degrees nose down)? Next, is there side angle bias,  to correct for any P-factor issues, when using a Jabiru 2200, with a 62” Sensenich prop, on a MKIV with a stock rudder and tail? Last, What points do I use to level the fuselage (level flight) for a reference angle that I use for setting the thrust line? Is raising the tail, until the rear h stab is level, accomplish this? FYI: It will be difficult to unfold the wings right now. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Supermotive

Posted

Did you ever get the mounts built 

Posted

no not yet

Posted

One step closer to a motor mount. 

BBD10785-CFA3-4395-934B-BDCB0EF46548.jpeg

Posted

The jig is under construction

motor mount jig construction.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

C252F5E4-50DE-4351-A1FB-6D336D3366DF.jpeg

Posted

Sorry for my bad memory, I just texted you a couple of pics with the dimensions you were wanting.   JImChuk

Posted

Hard to tell from the picture but are the tubes for the engine side sticking out far enough? I think the rubber mounts that slid over them are around 2 inches thick with about 1/2 inch of spacers as well.

Posted

TJay, I should have posted this other picture as well.  the first picture only showed the section of the mounts you weld the tubing to. This additional picture should clear things up. Sorry about that. 

A40D79F2-3D3E-4847-96DF-A280E2E66DB8.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Getting closer. 

7C4E2F68-160F-490A-8C84-8BD570226847.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

mount prog1.jpg

Posted

Some progress made. The mount is 2 degrees nose down and 2.2 degrees port side offset (p-factor correction in a MKIV with 80 hp Jab/62" prop).

mount prog2.jpg

Posted

Making some serious headway. I am hoping to be banging out a firewall this weekend.

84FDFA2C-E0EF-4591-82E6-C95F21141448.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

Looks great!

Posted

Feels good to see that motor fitted up. A few more steps to go. 

00AB49F3-981E-473D-95E8-92ACC1FD0600.jpeg

4497C16F-A8D2-41E7-933E-091329AD362F.jpeg

1D736FA3-B26A-4843-B5BD-869DFB464E36.jpeg

B089F077-739E-46B9-B74B-B905BDAB1183.jpeg

044A9F4A-294B-4EE7-A03C-32EBD2702FAB.jpeg

4 people like this

Posted

I like it!  Looks good.   A big project just about out of the way.   JImChuk

Posted

If you would let me know what you think of the 2200 after you get going. Considering it for my mkIV when it is time.  Thanks, Aaron (capfly)

Posted

If you would let me know what you think of the 2200 after you get going. Considering it for my mkIV when it is time.  Thanks, Aaron (capfly)

Be happy to. I may forget though. Feel free to ping me in about 3 months. I may have some progress then.

Posted

Will do hopefully I will have progress on mine also but I am way behind you.  I have had nothing but positive interactions with this group.  I appreciate the knowledge that has been given. Good luck on finishing your bird. Aaron (capfly)

Posted

Love mine.

Posted

Is it powerful enough for high density altitudes and might I ask the hours? I have read the negative comments the Australian government spewed that seems a little critical of Jabiru.  I would also say good to meet you. Aaron (capfly)

Posted

I have put 600 hrs on a Jabiru in my MK IV.  My field elevation is 1500.   It has worked for me.  I have an early solid lifter engine, they seem to have been more trouble free then some of the early hydraulic lifter engines.  I don't believe they make as much HP as an 80 HP Rotax 912 and you can't run as large a prop, but they are about 25 -30 lbs lighter all up.  Rotex makes watercooled heads for the Jabiru engines, and those seem to have been very trouble free.  Of course then you are adding about 10 lbs of weight to the engine compared to the aircooled heads.  JImChuk

Posted

I have 106hrs on mine I think the power is ok but really nothing to compare it to. My Density attitude only averages 4000 ft so cant say I have ever been above that. I will say if your nervous about an engine before you buy it you will probably never really like it. Just saying something to think about.

Posted

Jim,  Tj. Thank you for your knowledge about how the Jabiru engine performs in your mkIV's. Capfly