Wing tanks for Mk4 Speedwing

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Greetings from Germany,

I am proud owner of a Mk4 Speedwing with 912 80hp since roughly 2 years, however I am not a skilled plane builder myself. 

Bad thing is that my right tank is starting to get sticky and seems to dissolve, the resin is getting soft, even though I take the most ethanol-free fuel I can get still there seems to be some inside ....

Can somebody give me some hints what I could do ?

• Ideally I'd prefer the inlay tanks from wingtanks.com (and have somebody to install them for me), but the page seems dead. However I"d love it since fix is fast and because of German payload limitation I can fly alone only anyways ....
  • Other threads seem to mostly describe STOL wing and Kitfox, not sure if they'd apply to Speedwing as well. Also I doubt that I'd be sufficiently skilled for larger rework of whole wing 
  • Sent mails to new avidkitplanes.com multiple times asking about new tanks, but they didn't reply and according to web page they also support STOL wing only
  • larger 5 gal header tank wouldn't be allowed in Germany I'm afraid.

any other ideas? 

Regards,

Matt(hias)

Posted (edited)

If it was mine, the first thing I would consider is a fuel tank sealer.  I imagine there is a product in Europe, but here in the States, I've used KBS coatings several times.  Least amount of work also.  If it works that is.  If it doesn't, you're just out the cost of the sealer, and the effort of applying it.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Thanks for the hint. Maybe I'll try that in spring. Currently we're in winter break and COVID lockdown anyways....

Also Mark replied that if necessary they could provide ethanol-proof new tanks with original molds. So I am pretty relieved now....

Posted

guys were running fuel with 5% ethanol in polyester resin tanks and having no issues by having a 100 to 1 mix of 2 stroke synthetic oil with it.... might be possible to stop some of the degeneration by doing this in a lesser ratio that won't be detrimental to the motor's functionality. 

Posted

As always I'm recommending Caswell Tank Sealer,works great.  I used it before the tank was installed but a friend used to fix a leak and coat the tank by removing the wing and rotating it with the Epoxy inside and then pouring out the excess.

https://caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Posted

MATC, you mentioned that Mark can set you up with a (new?) tank? Can you put me in touch with Mark? Thnx.

Carl

1 person likes this