Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fabric repair

5 posts in this topic

Posted

So this evening I bent my seat truss and will be rebuilding it as well as adding reinforcement on the door sill and fabbing cabane style gear to get rid of the factory style bungee gear. I am wondering if I can leave my fabric from the door back or will I need to refabric the whole fuselage. 

Posted

I repaired the seat truss on an Avid Flyer once, and didn't have to do much fabric repair.  Would have been worse if I had strengthened below the door.  JImChuk

New MK IV 045 (Large).jpg

New MK IV 047 (Large).jpg

Posted

Unfortunately I did a number so I’ll be rebuilding the whole seat truss. The model 1 is all from 1/2” tube so I’m gonna beef up the top and bottom tube. 

Posted

Then it will be a good time to make the door full size, and widen the fuselage as well.   And infilling the webs will strengthen the seat truss quite a bit even if you keep the same top and bottom tubes.   If you do under the doors,  it will probably need a recover or it's likely to look like a patch job.   I think TJay has pictures of how he enlarged the doors and widened the fuselage on his Kitfox 1.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Fortunately I got by without needing to redo my fabric and got the truss beefed up and back in shape. 

96F2DD52-58C9-4000-BF85-F7ABA15704A8.jpeg