New project

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I just broke down and bought this beauty. It’s a MKIV Speedwing. I want to build it into a 120 mph, safe, fun machine. I am thinking stretch fuse, 130 hp motor, a 17 inch wing extension, widen and stiffen fuse, and possible nose wheel configuration. Thoughts?

74E1BA8E-742D-4B18-AC09-B54F891CA5F8.jpeg

Posted

Glad it all worked out getting the plane.  Only word of caution I would give is this.   The more changes one does on an airplane, the longer it will be before it flys again.  Sometimes the project gets half finished and then life and other things get in the way, and there it ends.  But if one sees it through to the end, they hopefully end up with what they want.  JImChuk

Posted

Here are a few more pictures after a minor cleanup. The wings are aerobatic variants.

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

Posted

I am no expert but I think that extending the wing will slow it down.  More importantly, you still have that undercambered airfoil which gets quite draggy at those speeds.  On my Kitfox II, I replaced the ribs with the Model 4 style ribs along with everything else needed for that wing.  Not a trivial undertaking.

One more thought: 130HP will be heavy.  You will either lose useful load or will need to up the gross weight.  Again, extending the wings will add significant load to the wing struts and associated support structures.

Posted (edited)

CoClimber, I have the flat bottom wings in mine. I considered lust adding 1 or 2 ribs per side (probably only 1) to help. FYI: my ribs are 12" on center.

Losing useful load would be inevitable as you stated.

Edited by Supermotive
typo

Posted

Looks pretty nice. I think you did pretty good on getting this plane.  JImChuk

Posted

I am happy with my purchase Jim. Thanks for the lead Sir.

Posted

On my Kitfox II, I replaced the ribs with the Model 4 style ribs along with everything else needed for that wing.

How much speed did you gain?

Posted

I think your gonna love that airplane when your done with it.

1 person likes this

Posted

On my Kitfox II, I replaced the ribs with the Model 4 style ribs along with everything else needed for that wing.

How much speed did you gain?

It has yet to fly.  Should be done in the spring.

Posted

Ok Question, i have a line on a new unbuilt set of model 4 wings, what is a set worth? And would it b worth makin them fit a model 1 that a guy wants to make single seat, 4 stroke yamaha power, and mainly b only on EDO 1070? 

Posted

I remember talking to Skystar just before they went belly up about getting the parts and pieces for a set of Kitfox 4 wings.  It was something like $5000 that they wanted.  Sure glad I didn't buy, they probably would have never delivered after getting my money.  JImChuk

Posted

Last march I believe I was quoted $8800 for all the parts to build the wings.

Posted

So $2500 plus shipping to me is good. 
So what about installin them on a model 1? Am i being a retard and brainstorming wrong? 

Posted

they will fit but you do need to move your turtle deck bearing forward 2 inches. And build a new style control system.

New Control.jpg

Posted

Glad it all worked out getting the plane.  Only word of caution I would give is this.   The more changes one does on an airplane, the longer it will be before it flys again.  Sometimes the project gets half finished and then life and other things get in the way, and there it ends.  But if one sees it through to the end, they hopefully end up with what they want.  JImChuk

Jim, I decided to try and conserve the original design of the plane. I may make minor changes, but I am not planning on cutting any time soon. I kind of like the design to be candid. Genius in fact. I am looking to install a light weight 4 stroke. I am currently looking at a friend of mines Jab 2200. Thank you for all your advice and direction. The community owes you a debt of gratitude for all you do here. Both you and Paul helped me a great deal. 

2 people like this

Posted

I decided to purchase a late Gen 2 Jabiru 2200. This one had the pistons and through studs updated, as well as the flywheel bolts. The work was performed by Jabiru. This motor also has the later hydraulic lifters that bleed down a little faster (a good thing). The only thing lacking is the updated valve train, which costs $165 per cylinder. I will update the cylinder heads myself. The motor comes with a 62", adjustable pitch Sensenich prop. With about 200 hours on this motor and prop, I find this to be a decent combination for my MKIV.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Now I am considering a wing extension strategy and a possible switch to a nose gear configuration. I have the aerobatic wings, which are basically speed wings with the .82" wall spars and 12 inch rib spacing. I am thinking adding 1 or 2 ribs would be helpful with lift. What I don't know is the following: do I need to change my wing strut configuration, is the aerobatic airfoil appropriate for an extension, wing wash out geometry. So, I have some learning to do. I am thinking, with my lightweight Jabiru, if extending these wings slightly would be the cat's meow. I am not looking for a super bush STOL plane. I want a safe, reasonable performing machine. I will likely increase the rudder size, and add balance also, in the future.

As far as the nose gear idea, I am thinking the plane would be much easier to fly (I only have 18 hours on a student license), and I will land on pavement some. I will try to train on this plane, if I can, to complete my license requirements.  My thoughts were: use a grove gear and figure out how to install a good nose gear. I don't have the through tube that nose gear planes have, so cut and weld may be needed. Other option is to leave the plane as a TD (but with perhaps a Grove main gear and a better tail wheel configuration, and learn how to fly it. I have been told this plane can be difficult for a low hour pilot, especially with a non-STOL wing, and on pavement. I do NOT want to knock my wings on the ground due to an unmanaged ground loop. I like the Grove gear because of its robustness, geometry, and lower drag. Please share thoughts on my ideas as I am open minded here and I respect the opinions of the knowledgeable and experienced individuals on this forum.

Edited by Supermotive

Posted

I picked up a low hour Jabiru 2200 and a Sensenich prop. Time to make an engine mount. 

062650DF-1881-40EA-BC58-D17FBD55F9FA.jpeg

Posted

This picture just bothers me for a 210 hr motor

7F22282D-8AFA-46C0-A7DA-2F35FAB4E157.jpeg