Kitfox Mk 1 Engines

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello to All Avidfoxflyers

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered on here already but I haven't seen it....

I have recently become the proud new owner of a KFM 112 engined MK 1 Kitfox (one of the very few in the UK). I have just started the process of making her airworthy after she has sat in a garage for nearly five years. Initial investigation makes me hopeful that the engine is in good order.... However, I like to plan for the worst.

What I want to know is, what is the heaviest engine that can be fitted to this aircraft? The KFM is 117 lbs, I have heard rumours that VW engines have been fitted to The MK1, and they weigh 170Lbs... does anybody have a definitive answer on this? What weight will the MK1 tolerate before airframe structure and or C of G is compromised.

Many thanks

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-11 at 4.47.27 PM.jpeg

Posted

Most Kitfox 1s had a 532 to start with and often ended up with a 582.  I think the KFM didn't catch on for a reason.  Not sure or reliability, but probably not near as powerful as the 582 pound for pound.  Very few have had success with VW engines on Kitfoxes and Avids.  To heavy usually, and underpowered often as well.  Just my take on it, never flew a KFM or VW.  JImChuk

Posted

Hey..

I have the other Kitfox with a KFM112M in the UK.

Mine is in a 1000 pieces at the mo but I'm slowly rebuilding it.

Let me know how you get on with the KFM engine,

If you want to sell it, give me a shout.

Cheers.

Skelly.

Posted

I'm looking for copies of the kfm 112 engine manuals. I have one still in the crate. It's for a kitfox model 1.

Posted

I'm looking for copies of the kfm 112 engine manuals. I have one still in the crate. It's for a kitfox model 1.

Hi, what country are you in?

Alessandro

Posted

Better off with a Jabaru 2200 than the KFM orphan, IMO.  

1 person likes this