How to adjust a nose high cruise

15 posts in this topic

Posted

So I recently purchased a model 1 and it has a high angle of attack to maintain a level cruise. Without using the flaps, is there a way to setup the plane to fly at more of a level attitude. 

Posted

I don't remember if the horizontal stabilizer can be adjusted at it's front connection point, to change the angel of incidence, but I know the Kitfox 4 can be.  Take a look there first of all.  See the 4 holes on the white triangle.  This is on a Kitfox 4.  JImChuk

Photo0952.jpg

Photo0951.jpg

Posted

So would I need it to be dropped in the front or lifted. 

Posted

I would expect that you would raise the front.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Yes raise the front on the model 1 you drill the holes.

And if I remember right the when I set mine up the front of my horizontal was 13/16 lower than the rear if that helps. Mine fly's awesome that way.

Also where you have your flapperons makes a huge difference too. Think I have mine 3 degrees trailing edge down.  I went to 0 degrees for a while but the nose just keep going up.

Edited by TJay

Posted

TJay thanks ill have to see where im at and adjust the flaps and elevator. 

Posted

Seems like the only options here are to change the center of lift (adjust flaperons) or fly faster.. right?

But if you move the stab nose down (without changing the CG aft) and fly the same speed you will lower the nose but just be descending.  Seems to me you'd do a lotta work only to end up out of trim to stay level... with the same deck angle. 

Posted

what would be the best way to move the cg aft? 

Posted

Seems like the only options here are to change the center of lift (adjust flaperons) or fly faster.. right?

But if you move the stab nose down (without changing the CG aft) and fly the same speed you will lower the nose but just be descending.  Seems to me you'd do a lotta work only to end up out of trim to stay level... with the same deck angle. 

Nose of the stab goes up as far as you can.

1 person likes this

Posted

what would be the best way to move the cg aft? 

I'm really not sure itd help much.  Maybe experiment with some temporary tail ballast and see

Do you get some nose down when you move the flaperons?

Posted

Yes I do get nose down with flaps 

Posted (edited)

Unless that kills your speed I guess I would rig it with more flaps at the zero point... then move the stab or or use a trim tab on the elevator to trim any stick force out.

That's why I had to do with my model 2 when I had it but listen to these other guys here too because I know them and they are definitely smarter than me! 

There sure may be a better way than mine to get it set up.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Nose of the stab goes up as far as you can.

Yep for sure!  I really didn't word that right.. was meaning aircraft nose down

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

So I recently purchased a model 1 and it has a high angle of attack to maintain a level cruise. Without using the flaps, is there a way to setup the plane to fly at more of a level attitude. 

When you are flying at level cruise, and you fo full throttle, what happens with the attitude of the plane after about 1 second of wide open throttle? Conversely, what would be the attitude of the plane one second after you cut throttle?

Edited by Supermotive

Posted

Yes raise the front on the model 1 you drill the holes.

And if I remember right the when I set mine up the front of my horizontal was 13/16 lower than the rear if that helps. Mine fly's awesome that way.

Also where you have your flapperons makes a huge difference too. Think I have mine 3 degrees trailing edge down.  I went to 0 degrees for a while but the nose just keep going up.

TJay, are you measuring the "13/16 lower" when you level the plane at the third rib (like when doing w/b)? Also, how are you measuring flapperon trailing edge  angle? do you just place a straight edge under the flapperon and compare to a level?