wing spars for Europe

11 posts in this topic

Posted

as I´m probably in need for a new Kitfox IV spar, I contacted the factory. While pricing for the spar itself would be quite reasonable, transportation costs are infernal.

So meanwhile I found a mill located in Germany producing following spec.

2,5"x.065 162"

EN AW-6061-T6 seamless drawn

EN 573-3, EN 754-1, 2+7

EN 10204/3.1

Where`s the beef? Minumum slot they produce would be 7 pcs.:blink: Price would be around EUR 300,- per spar.

Please PM, if you`re located within Europe and interested.

Posted

I have some used spars that may be airworthy from a Kitfox mk3.

How many do you need ?

Skelly.

Posted

Hi Skelly,

I´m in need of only one for a mk4, means without extruded stiffener...

Thanks.

Posted

Kitfox 3 and 4 both have longer lift struts then earlier model 1 and 2.  That means the lift strut bracket and all it's pop rivet holes are in the same place between the 3 and 4.  JImChuk

Posted

One solution might be to ship shorter spar sections, perhaps 3 or 4 feet, and assemble them in Europe. If you use 2.5" tubing, and epoxy a doubler over the joint (6" length of 2.75" OD, 2.5" ID, 0.125" wall section), you would be very strong, and each section would weigh about .6 lb. You'd have some visible rings around the spar at intervals, but what the heck!

Posted (edited)

might be an option, but to be honest I like to go `genuine factory` with my rebuild. I have already a sleeve I want to get rid of...:huh:

6dc80edb-844a-4f75-aef7-37b3b264a725.thu 

Edited by motortommy
1 person likes this

Posted

If they want 2100 euros for the seven, you can look at it two ways in my opinion.  I would doubt it would cost 2100 to get one shipped from the US.  They sell for probably less then 200 each here.  If you get seven made, you can try to sell off the rest of them later.  There is sure to be someone in your area in your same shoes at some point in time from having banged up their plane.  Maybe/probably you get more then the 300 for the extra ones you sell and it just means you have to hold onto the ones left over for a while.  At that rate, you may actually end up making some money in the long run.  Would you pay 500 right now for one?  probably in a heart beat.  500 x 6 (ones you don't need) is 3000.  JImChuk

Posted

give a call at ULMtechnologie, they are in north france and have all tubes you want

1 person likes this

Posted

If they want 2100 euros for the seven, you can look at it two ways in my opinion.  I would doubt it would cost 2100 to get one shipped from the US.  They sell for probably less then 200 each here.  If you get seven made, you can try to sell off the rest of them later.  There is sure to be someone in your area in your same shoes at some point in time from having banged up their plane.  Maybe/probably you get more then the 300 for the extra ones you sell and it just means you have to hold onto the ones left over for a while.  At that rate, you may actually end up making some money in the long run.  Would you pay 500 right now for one?  probably in a heart beat.  500 x 6 (ones you don't need) is 3000.  JImChuk

Yes that`s also my thinking. I´d love to buy from the factory (spar $195) but packing & freight add another $1420:bugeyes: Plus the risk that something stupid could happen during the long journey...

@Manu: Thanks! will check ULM Tech   

Posted

I bought spars 4 spars and stiffeners from kitfox and recently received them. I got great price with container shipping from a local guy.

I got them to Sweden with total cost around 2500 eur

1 person likes this

Posted

....glad it worked out well for you!

Please share some pics/insight of your wing rebuild (if you like:))

1 person likes this