Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox model 2

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Kitfox went down the road yesterday evening. With its new owner on the way to Arizona. Hard to believe someone would travel almost 2000 miles to pick it up. It was sold without engine and prop so new owner has a small project to complete. He is planning on installing the engine that is made it Texas, the VW with the Harley cylinders. I wish him the best. That was one project that about done me in. Think I'll take a break till spring and then look for the next project. Still have the 503/582 engine mount and plate that will be available. Have several interested parties for the HKS engine and prop. Time to kick back with a cup of Maxwell House and chill a bit.

Posted

Well Allen, I feel bad for you never getting it all done and flying.  Also, it would have been interesting to see how it performed with the HKS engine.  But then you know your situation better then anyone else, so you have to do what you think is best.  JImChuk

Posted

The HKS is definitely heavier than they advertise. I would say flying weight minus prop is closer to 140-145 lbs including oil. Too much for 60 max hp. Add a hefty fuselage to it and one would probably have a lead sled. Definitely not a STOL aircraft. I will most likely go back to the challenger. It would get off in 100' max solo and to a stop in 150'. I've flown it in some pretty stiff crosswinds and never once ground looped it.

Posted

Well Allen sorry to hear ur parted with ur plane hope u got a decent price for it, but is what it is, sit back relax and scower the sale adds, u never know what may come up.  Had a guy call me (he is an AP) day b4 yesturday trying to sell a mod 4 with a 80hp 912. But think he around $14g for it. Not a bad price really. 

Posted

My next one will be a two part kit, the airplane and the key! A guy from Ga. is flying in tomorrow to get the engine and prop. So the shop will be cleared out. Haven't seen that in a few years so I am on strange ground for once.

Posted

I always enjoyed flying my challenger when I had it.  Very easy plane to fly.

Posted

One of the better performing machines that I've had.  Not too much fun in rough air though. And the gear is a weak link, so some say. A Kitfox/Avid style gear would be great.

Posted

I put the fiberglass gear legs on mine and they worked great. The front wheel could use some re design. I had a clipped wing so rough air was never really an issue.

Posted

Kitfox went down the road yesterday evening. With its new owner on the way to Arizona. Hard to believe someone would travel almost 2000 miles to pick it up. It was sold without engine and prop so new owner has a small project to complete. He is planning on installing the engine that is made it Texas, the VW with the Harley cylinders. I wish him the best. That was one project that about done me in. Think I'll take a break till spring and then look for the next project. Still have the 503/582 engine mount and plate that will be available. Have several interested parties for the HKS engine and prop. Time to kick back with a cup of Maxwell House and chill a bit.

Tell him to post how those Brakes work once he gets it flying too.

Posted

Will do, I told him about the group so hope he joins it.