Replace header tank

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I want to comply with SB#29 on my Kitfox 2 with the large plastic header tank and there are a few options..

SB#29:

https://kitfoxaircraft.com/images/servicebulletins/SB-29.pdf

1. Keep the existing header tank and route the fuelines from the wingtanks in to the filler neck

2. Remove front header and install small tank as the SB describes behind the bagage compartment with a high mounting place

3. Remove front header and install small tank behind seat as the newer Kitfox´s

4. Should o burn the small plastic tank because it is likely to start leaking and buy and aluminium from Kitfox :) ?

Foto 2020-10-09 22 19 27.jpg

Foto 2020-10-09 22 19 21.jpg

Foto 2020-10-09 22 24 27.jpg

Edited by Peter_se

Posted (edited)

Hi, just for information I am sending picture of my installation (Stylus X3 aircraft-very similar) of rear header tank. A little more then 1,3 gallon, working perfectly since 2010. There is fuel drain valve on the bottom as well.

img_b210.jpg

Edited by Jenki

Posted

Aluminum and while your in there do the other SB on the elevator pivot right next to the fuel tank.

Posted (edited)

For what it's worth, the front header tank the service bulletin is talking about is a one gallon round aluminum header tank that was mounted in front of the panel.  That header tank was used in early kitfoxes with wing tanks and no large front panel tank.  If you have the large panel tank no other header tank is needed.

You may want to remove the panel tank and install a rear header anyhow.  You then can have a nice large instrument panel and get that fuel out of your lap.

From the service bulletin:

NOTE: For those operating wing tanks in conjunction with the large, front main tank, the wing tank fuel lines should route: forward from the wing tank, above the door frame work, down the diagonal bracing in the windshield area, and plumbed directly into the filler neck of the main tank. The wing tank fuel valve can be installed in the headrack above the door. Because of the capacity and fuel visibility in the main tank, the question of fuel flow stoppage from the wing tanks is not as critical. With the fuel routed into the filler neck, you will have a constant visual on all fuel.

Edited by tcj

Posted

I replaced my rear 1 gallon header tank that was seeping with a 3 gallon alum tank from Summit Racing.com. I think about $79 and a few locally bought fittings. They come in alum and plastic and are for sprint racing or go-kart racing tanks. It mounted right where the 1 gallon tank mounted in the rear.

Posted

Yes you are correct about the bulletin but I still want to replace that leaky tank.

I have now purchased a aluminum tank from kitfox and I think I will install it behind the seat and then put the battery in place for correct CG

53FD4CB5-EF70-4C07-9D31-45215072229F.jpeg