Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Modified Rudder

8 posts in this topic

Posted

On my model C I have a round rudder has been increased in size from 18" to 24". It's in perfect condition. I would like to make a trade for a stock rudder. If there is interest here I'll post some pictures. My fuselage has been stretched 16" and I feel this is to much rudder with a stretched fuselage. Neil 419-551-1812

•  

Posted

Hi Neil,  

That is the first time I have heard anyone say they have to much rudder on these planes.  I have a much larger rudder on my Avid+ than the MKIV and it is 18" longer.  I really like having the extra rudder authority.  Why do you feel yours is to big?

Randy

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy,

Very interesting.  Are you saying your C model fuselage has been stretched 18"? My rudder is 24" at the widest point. What is the width of yours. Also is yours the round style rudder?

Neil

Posted

Neil,

I have a stock Mk 4 rudder that I am not using, will need it eventually, if you want to try it and see if you like it. Where do you live?  I'm in Boise, ID. If you pay shipping both ways I'm good with it. I can't get it shipped till the end of the month, I'm out of town, (country)

Brad

1 person likes this

Posted

Brad, I live in Bryan, Ohio. Thank you for the offer. I would be worried that your rudder might get damaged during shipping.

I'll try and figure what freight might be. Thanks, Neil

20201011_194030.jpg

20201011_193801.jpg

20201011_194057.jpg

Posted

Hi Neil, 

The Avid MKIV fuselage that I am working on is stretched 18" and I reworked the rudder to add more area. (first picture).  I have not flown it yet but I patterned it (sort of)after my Avid+which is 18" longer than the stock MKIV and wider and has a much larger rudder (second picture). As you can see they are both balanced rudders.  What flying characteristic are you having trouble with that makes you think your rudder is to big?  It would be nice to try the stock one for comparison before changing.  You might want to consider reconfiguring the tail and rudder to a balanced configuration if it is the rudder pressure that is the problem.

Randy

DSCN3727-1.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Randy, I'm going to try a stock Mark IV rudder being loaned to me by Brad Brummett, he is also on this forum. If I like the out come I'm going to trade my enlarged rudder for his stock rudder. I'll report the out come to you.  Neil

Posted

That enlarged and balanced rudder looks great.