10 posts in this topic

Posted

I needed to pull the Kitfox back into the shop to do some maintenance, and decided it was finally time to install those wing tanks. The build manual that came with my Model 1 has instructions for installing the old aluminum six gallon wing tank, but not the newer, thirteen gallon, ethanol-resistant ones that I have. Does anyone have installation instructions that they could post, or a link to something I might have missed? I see that some people are gluing dowels to the ribs, and fitting it tight to plywood on the sides of the tank. My plan was to stick them in place with 3M 5200. I already put a couple extra braces in to reinforce the third ribs when I rebuilt the wings. 

C876C7FF-B8CB-46C0-B5FB-F9E9AA262038.jpeg

D9439042-9BB9-4B4C-8975-68ED34B9FF7F.jpeg

Posted

When in doubt, figure it out. These tanks are a little weird, like maybe the mold sagged. About 1/2" high at the middle, so the top bulges up, and I'm gluing a cap strip to the bottom, so the fabric will float across it and stay uniform. Not an exact match to the ribs, but with an 1/8  in most places. Plenty more work left to finish it.

3C1D770B-96A4-47AB-BD8C-779037745477.jpeg

73C51FF0-77D6-4C3A-9DC5-92B77FAC413B.jpeg

1D25C936-05BA-47D5-93D6-E5737D8A731F.jpeg

568B95C1-4541-446B-B32E-4605981AED81.jpeg

Posted

Is there a possibility they are Avid tanks?  JImChuk

Posted

No, not Avid tanks. I bought them new from Kitfox.

1 person likes this

Posted

mine were the same way when I got them. I also built up the cap strips on butt ribs and ribs  1 2 3 then tapered down to number 4 really works great.

Posted

Matt, how much did the tanks cost from KF?  Whats an empty one weigh? Mayb i shold do them Instead of football tanks. 

Posted (edited)

They weigh 13.5 pounds each. The tanks were $440 each, plus shipping. I paid another $45 for some fittings for the two tanks, plus I just spent another $250 locally for the rest of the fittings, microballoons and epoxy, 5200 adhesive sealant, and acetone for rinsing them out. I already have fabric and paint supplies. As I'm sure you're aware, the shipping cost to Alaska was outrageous, somewhere north of what I paid for the tanks, since they wanted to Fedex them. I had mine sent to Seattle, where they went on one of our boats that was heading up for the summer. Another option is to have Kitfox Fedex them to Alaska Air Cargo, in Boise. Air freight is relatively cheap, but you have to have a Known Shipper Number to ship between states. I paid for my tanks on 9/6 and they emailed me that they were done on 2/13. Expect six months to get them. 

Edited by Good old number 29
Weight

Posted

To clarify, Alaska Air Cargo only shipped freight on combi planes out of Boise. You need the Known Shipper Number to ship freight between states if there are passengers on the flight. They fly cargo flights between Seattle and Anchorage or Fairbanks, so you don't need it then. Things might have changed regarding passengers on those flights from Boise. It's worth looking into, for about $1,000 less for shipping two tanks. 

Posted

Don't know if gray hound freight ships to Alaska, but it may be worth looking at that option..  They take large packages like you would put a complete cowl in.  JImChuk

Posted

Has anyone installed wing tanks in a Merlin GT 

New to the forum l just purchased a Merlin GT 

I am from down under Australia 

F1C06D04-E476-480F-B7C6-568E82FA271D.jpeg

EC7967A5-63D7-4069-9F6C-59718237C85E.jpeg