stock round rudder

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Would someone here be able to give me the dimension of the round rudder, mainly interested in the width. I have a stretched fuselage with an over sized rudder and it's to much rudder authority. I'm thinking of changing the rudder back to stock. The previous owner was going to put the plane on floats so the rudder was enlarged. Thanks, Neil

Posted

If I remember, I can measure the one on my MK IV tomorrow.  I do have an earlier squared off rudder like what was used before the MK IV rounded rudders.  Just remembered, I had some pics on my phone.  The rudder is 18" at the widest from front to back on my MK IV.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I would keep that bigger rudder and just change the throw on it so it travels less. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you !! I'll post my handling problem later. Both those post help. Neil

1 person likes this

Posted

Here are a couple pictures comparing model C and Mk 4 control surfaces.

0925201030_2.jpg

0925201032_2.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I lengthened the rudder horns and that reduced the rudder pressure and movement some.  The trailing edge of the ailerons have been increased by 1 1/2 inch and I'm wondering if this could be adding to my adverse yaw. I have the F7A mod and can't say that it helped much. I can remove the extensions by drilling out the rivets. What do you all think ? Neil

Posted (edited)

I would imagine the larger ailerons do add to the adverse yaw.  After all, they cause it in the first place.  Can you overcome the adverse yaw with the rudder?  If so, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to using your feet more.  What was the idea in enlarging the flaperons in the first place?  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Jim, The ailerons and rudder were modified because he was going to put the plane on floats, also the fuselage has been lengthen by 16".  Your right about the feet. It takes plenty of rudder for sure. This is my second Avid so I have a pretty good idea how it should fly. I think your right about the ailerons causing the problem in the first place. So I started to remove the extensions yesterday. I'll test fly it tomorrow. If that doesn't help I'll start thinking about putting on a stock rudder. You stated the stock rudder is 18" at the widest point. This rudder is 24". Maybe I can pick up a round rudder from someone on this forum. Thanks, Jim and others for your help, Neil

1 person likes this