Propeller protection tape

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  a guy on the Team Kitfox forum posted a picture of his IVO prop were he had replaced the SS protection tape with a 3M product that is made for helicopter blades.  He says it has stood up better then the SS tape IVO supplies.  I have several props I would like to put the tape on, so I got looking and found where I can buy a larger roll of the tape.  The bigger roll would be more then I need however, and so I figured I would throw this out  there.  Does anyone want to try this tape on their props?  If I get the roll, I could sell three 1' pieces for $10.50 shipping included.   IVO gets $8 each plus shipping for the SS tape.  Anyone interested, send me a PM.  Here is a picture of his plane with the tape on the prop that I borrowed from the Team site.  JImChuk

Name:  20200602_140207.jpg Views: 56 Size:  149.4 KB

Posted

Hi Jim,

I can't see the picture.

Can you write more details? You know, I am definitely too far to share your part of roll :)

Posted

I never did end up getting the roll of tape.  The supplier pulled out of the deal.  I did end up buying a couple of yards from a different supplier on ebay, just for my own needs.  I put it on my IVO on the Kitfox 4, and it's been good so far. Here is a link to it.  JImChuk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-HELICOPTER-POLYURETHANE-PROTECTIVE-TAPE-2-x-1-YARD-8681HS-36270-Light-Grey/253181460719?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Posted (edited)

Funny you should mention the clear helicopter tape. I know exactly what you are talking about. A couple years ago when I flew to Oshkosh, we stopped for the night about half way through Idaho. It was fire season and the airstrip we stayed at was serving as a helicopter fire base. I was having problems with my radiator touching the cowl when the engine shook and I did not want to turn around and go home! Anyway these helicopters had a big van that serviced them, and I went to ask if they had a tool I could grind a bit of my cowl away with. Of course they had exactly what I needed and were super willing to help. The guy came over to see what i was doing and after I ground a bit of material away where it was touching,  he went and got this super amazing clear tape (with a liner that had to be removed from the sticky side of the tape, which I stuck to the radiator where it had touched), just in case I had not removed enough cowl material. That was my exposure to that tape. I asked him if I could peel a couple feet off the roll just to have it and he said sure. I still have that couple feet of tape in my on-board tool kit, I made it to Osh and everything was fine. I sure would like a roll of that tape! Other than the color that link looks like the tape he had.  

Edited by ChrisBolkan