Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting ready

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Going next week to get a refresher tail wheel endorsement, for insurance purposes, and hopefully put this Kitfox in the air. Getting ready to fire up the HKS this weekend and do some final tweaking on it. Thankfully, don't have to involve the FAA anymore. Its been a trying project so far.

3 people like this

Posted

I talked with my insurance company this morning.  They want me to get 2 hrs with an instructor in same make and model.  Thats after almost 700 hrs flying 4  Avids and my Kitfox 1..... They will accept EAA Flight Advisor program instead as well.  Have to look into that.  JImChuk

Posted

Since there are no instructors around here, no EAA chapters or much other help, we're pretty much on our own, which is why I have to travel 5 hours to find an instructor. Of course if there was an EAA chapter, I wouldn't touch it anyhow. Everybody is going high dollar anymore.

Posted

I talked with my insurance company this morning.  They want me to get 2 hrs with an instructor in same make and model.  Thats after almost 700 hrs flying 4  Avids and my Kitfox 1..... They will accept EAA Flight Advisor program instead as well.  Have to look into that.  JImChuk

I don't get it Jim. Is this for a renewal on a same policy?  They took my word for having 120 hrs (flown "self-insured")  in the Avid for the quote I just got recently.  It wasn't so bad but hull is crazy money.  Its expensive enough that I'm inclined to pursue LSA or Standard Cat for a bit less cost.

Posted

There is a third party liability insurance available through the USUA that is pretty reasonable. For me on the Kitfox, it was around 350-400 a year for a million dollar policy. Of course one has to belong to the USUA to get it, since it is underwritten thru them. But I am not sure the difference between a third party insurance and an Avemco policy.

Posted (edited)

Allen, USUA or USAA?

And Jim give NW insurance a call if you haven't

www.nwinsurance.net

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

I don't get it Jim. Is this for a renewal on a same policy?  They took my word for having 120 hrs (flown "self-insured")  in the Avid for the quote I just got recently.  It wasn't so bad but hull is crazy money.  Its expensive enough that I'm inclined to pursue LSA or Standard Cat for a bit less cost.

I found that the best price I could find for insurance on the Avid was through Avemco.  So when I wanted to insure the Kitfox, I got a quote from Avemco again.  Not the same policy.  Today, I got an email from them asking when I wanted the insurance to start, so they accepted what I did with the Flight advisor on 'Friday.   I think they just had to make me jump though at least one hoop before they could let me go ahead.  Not a big deal as it turned out, and the EAA got another $40 out of me.  I rejoined again before I call the Flight advisor, but he never asked for an EAA number or anything, so I could have gotten by with out joining.  I figured I owed them their $40 anyway, so it was money well spent.  JImChuk

Posted

Allen, USUA or USAA?

And Jim give NW insurance a call if you haven't

www.nwinsurance.net

Thanks, but I already told Avemco to start my policy on Wednesday.  JImChuk