Avid heavy hauler on barnstormers

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Just saw this add pop up on barnstormers.  It's not a MK IV though, has the squared off rudder, and the door latch is like a B or C model.  When I ran the N number on the FAA website, it didn't show up.  Not sure what that is all about.  JImChuk

PS  just checked on one of my own N numbers that I know is good, and it didn't show up either, so something is messed up with FAA site today.  

AVID HEAVY HAULER • $14,500 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • AVID Heavy Hauler $14,500 N4NK Selling due to illness 1991 tailwheel experimental-2 seater. Total hrs.477.5 Rotax 582 2cycle Rebuilt with 50 hrs. Included:3 headsets, Sporty's SP400 radio with intercom system. All gauges. 14gal wing tank. An excellent dual control, folding wing aircraft. Fits in a garage bay. Can be flown with Light Sport ticket. Located in Bath, NY. Contact Leonard C. Gardner 607-776-0236 • Contact Leonard Gardner , Owner - located Bath, NY United States • Telephone: 6077760236 • Posted September 14, 2020 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Images

thumbnail_image_1604823_1_1599839907.jpethumbnail_image_1604823_3_1599839908.jpethumbnail_image_1604823_5_1599839910.jpethumbnail_image_1604823_5_1599840284.jpethumbnail_image_1604823_8_1599839911.jpe

Posted

Mine was a 1991 kit.  The build manual says 'Model D'.  Dual cheek radiators, originally had the square tail, the builders ground looped it, and put on the round tail as part of the repairs.  Mine has the single 14 gallon wing tank also.

Posted

Just looked and the FAA website is working again.  It's serial 785, so that makes it a C model.   Paperwork looks to be  in order. JImChuk

Posted

I planned on flying to Hammondsport this weekend for the Curtis Museum Seaplane Gathering splash in and car show, unfortunately it was Covid canceled. Bath is right down the road, probably could have convinced someone to go take a look with me. It's probably better this way...

Posted

An I'm even closer.  Probably should get my project finished before looking at another one!

1 person likes this

Posted

An I'm even closer.  Probably should get my project finished before looking at another one!

Why?  :lmao:  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm not sure, but I texted him and asked.... JImChuk

Posted

At the current prices of 20-30K kits, 25K for a flyable Avid/fox is not unreasonable, depending on condition. Most likely not a 1, 2, or 3. Probably a model 4. A Subaru is too dang heavy for the 1-3 models. My model 2 had a Subaru installed and it weighed 721 lbs empty. Even a 1-3 flyable is going for upwards of 20K. Compared to 20K  for a flying lawn chair with wings, and all the bugs you can eat. The days of the 10-12K Avid/Foxes are just about gone if not already gone.

Posted

At the current prices of 20-30K kits, 25K for a flyable Avid/fox is not unreasonable, depending on condition. Most likely not a 1, 2, or 3. Probably a model 4. A Subaru is too dang heavy for the 1-3 models. My model 2 had a Subaru installed and it weighed 721 lbs empty. Even a 1-3 flyable is going for upwards of 20K. Compared to 20K  for a flying lawn chair with wings, and all the bugs you can eat. The days of the 10-12K Avid/Foxes are just about gone if not already gone.

Allen, 

Hope you can help me with pricing an Avid Heavy Hauler that I have inherited from my father.  It’s a sweet thing that has been stored in a hangar for 25 years and comes with a HKS-700E Sport Aircraft engine installed (87.4 hours) and a pair of pontoons (never used).  Of course you need more information and photos, but wondering if you’d be willing to give me an initial price range so I don’t get scalped.

Fred’s Daughter

titadowd@gmail.com