Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 912 ignition modules on barnstormers

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Just saw this add.  Anyone know anything about them?  The outfit is a trike kit maker, near as I've been able to find out.  JImChuk

ROTAX CDI BOXES 4 AND 6 PIN • $245 • NOW AVAILABLE • New aftermarket CDI Boxes for Rotax 912 and 912 S engines with inbuilt soft start. $245 plus S&H. • Contact Allistair Wilson - SPORTFLIGHT INTERNATIONAL LLC , Owner - located Bloomfield, IN United States • Telephone: 812 384 4760 • Posted September 11, 2020

1 person likes this

Posted

I talked to this guy today.  Seems to really know his stuff.  The modules can also be powered with 12 volt, so they will then make spark at almost no rpm.  I'm ordering one module for now.  JImChuk

Posted

Tried to look something up about these modules. Couldn't find anything. Very interested to see what these look like and how they perform. Plus, wonder what "programming" you can do with a laptop? Sure would like to see a web page with some additional information.

Posted

Well I guess mine is going to cost me $60 more then it would have if I had known about this site.  Sounds like the same ones that the guy on barnstormers had.  He said they were built in the Czech republic.    Oh well.  JImChuk

Posted

I just saw that Edge Performance is making their own modules, too.

Posted

Well I guess mine is going to cost me $60 more then it would have if I had known about this site.  Sounds like the same ones that the guy on barnstormers had.  He said they were built in the Czech republic.    Oh well.  JImChuk

Well I got his invoice and wrote out the check.  I did tell him this afternoon that  I would take one, and my word is worth more to me then $60.  One plus is I probably will have an easier time getting info out of him when I go to install it then I could from the company in the Czech Republic.  I see they have a 15% discount if you buy two of them.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I talked to this guy today.  Seems to really know his stuff.  The modules can also be powered with 12 volt, so they will then make spark at almost no rpm.  I'm ordering one module for now.  JImChuk

How did the one module work?

Posted

I would like to hear how it works also.

Posted

I did use it for a little bit and it worked fine.  The others were all wired up and in place, so it went back on the shelf.  I would for sure use it if I had the 100 HP without the soft start module though, cause this module has that built in.  I would get one again, in fact I may have to, cause the 100 HP 912 I've recently got doesn't have the soft start module but it does have the 6 pin connector.  This module has the 4 pin connector.  I could probably just get a 6 pin connector and rewire it???  JImChuk

PS.  I thought as I read this latest post, I thought I had answered this already.  So when I hit reply, there is the message I had typed out, but apparently never sent.  

Posted

I did use it for a little bit and it worked fine.  The others were all wired up and in place, so it went back on the shelf.  I would for sure use it if I had the 100 HP without the soft start module though, cause this module has that built in.  I would get one again, in fact I may have to, cause the 100 HP 912 I've recently got doesn't have the soft start module but it does have the 6 pin connector.  This module has the 4 pin connector.  I could probably just get a 6 pin connector and rewire it???  JImChuk

PS.  I thought as I read this latest post, I thought I had answered this already.  So when I hit reply, there is the message I had typed out, but apparently never sent.  

I replaced the modules on my engine way back when I first got her flying and at that time rewired them for 6x6 plugs from the original 4 wire plug.  Easily done, and now I have the OEM soft start feature.

Posted

Thanks Larry,  do you know where you got the 6x6 plugs?  I think my 100 HP 912 will be done soon, and it will probably be good to set it up with the soft start system.  JImChuk

Posted

Carmo has site in the USA but don’t seem to have those connector but maybe they can get them.

Posted

Thanks Larry,  do you know where you got the 6x6 plugs?  I think my 100 HP 912 will be done soon, and it will probably be good to set it up with the soft start system.  JImChuk

Lockwood set me up with the whole works including pins, plugs and the brackets to hold the plugs.  They had done this several times previously and had the list of needed parts at hand.  They even sent me a couple extra pins so I could screw one or two up in the process.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do you need two or does this add to the ignition system like the factory soft start? 

Posted

You just use the soft start feature on one module, and start on just that module and then switch to both once it's running.  Just like a hand prop with 1 impulse coupler,  Just start on the one mag and then switch to both to run.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Another huge reason to use separate switches for the ignitions instead of the left-right-both-start switch. 

1 person likes this