Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A B1RD in the chicken coop

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, right off the bat, I'll say yes I'm crazy, but at least I'm not afraid to admit it.  That being said, I drug this little contraption home today.  A guy I recently met is moving and he had this sitting in his hangar.  He had rebuilt most of it, new bolts, powercoated all the tubes and such.  And at a pretty good price as well.  It's a Robertson B1RD, yes that is a one not an i.  Weighed 230 lbs so it was a rare legal ultralight.  Wings and such are disassembled, but I believe everything is there.  I think it would be a blast on a calm evening to putter around in.  503 on there, so it should be flying in 50' or so.  And stall at about 20.  It will sit on one of the back burners till I can get to it.  Here is a video of one flying from utube.  Anyone here have any experience with one?  JImChuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpKYWnIspg

B1RD 2.jpg

Posted (edited)

Very nice score Jim there is a three cylinder radial that would work very well on those along with 1/2 vw both have a nice fun sound too.

Edited by TJay

Posted

It has a 503 on there now.  An old points model with an A gearbox.  Looking at the slide in the carb, and the crosshatching in the cylinders, looks like no wear at all.  I'll have new seals put in just to be sure all is well inside.  JImChuk

On another topic, inspection on the Kitfox 4 is scheduled for Saturday morning.