Bflight Adventures IV

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've tried to read everyone's comments, hints and pitfalls as I start to make my 1994 Avid Aerobat Mark IV airworthy again. Instead of high jacking others threads I figured I would start my own.

IMG_20200825_175332_687.jpg

Edited by Bflight

Posted (edited)

2 hour post buy inspection today 

Edited by Bflight
1 person likes this

Posted

Homemade trailer idea plans?

Thinking of building a rear tow trailer just for my plane. I have a flatbed but when the new bush wheels arrive it will not fit! Any ideas, photos plans?

45639.jpeg

Posted

Dash idea. Current old school dash, want to get updated an sexy. What's your dash look like?

46124.jpeg

20200827_183939.jpg

Posted

Looks like you are going to have some fun.   (In a good way)   Looks like a Subaru engine??.  Here are pictures of my trailer and instrument panels from Avid MK IV and almost done Kitfox 4.  When you build your trailer, make sure it is wide enough incase you put wider gear on.  Wasn't that big a deal with the Kitfox having to remove the tires for a one time 1500 mile move, but you wouldn't want to haul it over to the airport on a regular basis like that... :lmao:  Last pic is the Avid panel, I have both of them empty on the right side for a 7" tablet running a GPS  app.  JImChuk  

Photo0579.jpg

panel 1.jpg

Photo0253.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

It is a ea81 subaru now but that will come off this week for a new to me Rotax 912.

I like that trailer.

20200827_191222.jpg

Posted

I've seen that engine before.  I remember the medium IVO back half of the prop hub bolted to the prop shaft.  Do you have the rest of the prop?  I saw someone was looking on barnstormers a week or so back for a pusher style 912 muffler system.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't, just have what ya see plus accessories to run

Posted

Way to go man looks like a great project.

here is my panel fairly simple with everything I need.

0407181806.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Dumb question, do you have an airspeed indicator on one of those glass panel? I really want to go clean and glass but also don't have a digital airspeed gauge just my Ifly system with ahrs. I know gs & as are both needed but I can't afford a g1000.

Posted

I am putting a G5 in my pacer as we speak.  Gives me all I need to toss the vacuum pump and old outdated instruments.

Posted

I'm also going that G5 route on my Kitfox 4 rebuild, if I ever get a chance to work on it. The plan is the G5 running a 2 axis autopilot, fed nav data by a tablet running Avare,  a SL40 com radio, a GTX327 transponder, which the G5 can act as the encoder for, and an echo ADS-b. I'll also have an engine monitor and may roll my own or get a mgl engine monitor for the 912.

1 person likes this

Posted

Has anyone found the door replacement struts? I'm looking for 8" expanded and 6" closed for my doors.

Posted

I got mine off ebay for pretty cheap.  Here are the ones I got, they were for the Kitfox 4, but I think they will work on the Avid as well.  Google the part # to see the size of these.  JImChuk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUSPA-C16-10788-12-Gas-Prop-Strut-35-lbs-Set-of-Two/400940502909?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 person likes this

Posted

The trick for my setup is the closed length 6" I really don't want to have to weld on a complete plane. But I'll see how I can make these work. Is 35lbs enough? 

Posted

The ones I got were the same part number as what came with the Kitfox 4 kit.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

New decal came in. Paid $15 for a 12" decal, time to sticker the truck and tool boxes

20200831_123705.jpg

Posted

The old parts pile is growing as the bank account get lower. Dynon D6 comes in Tuesday Ifly gets mounted and the sendcutsend.com aluminum will be here next week too!

IMG_20200905_193204_830.jpg

IMG_20200905_200740_976.jpg

IMG_20200905_200740_972.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have a way to make the cargo area bigger / more useful? My area is 18"x18"x12".

20200907_190450.jpg

20200907_190502.jpg

20200907_190513.jpg

Edited by Bflight
Adding photos

Posted

Some people have made up a canvas sack that hangs between the seat and the cargo bay.  Make sure to clear the linkages though if you do it.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

So I have a new issue! Put my the new pitot tube protector on and decided to add a bit of air to the cabin fitting to make sure it made the flap move..... No movement so I ran a thin wire 20 gauge soild copper got it about 5 inches in the pitot side and it stopped, 3 inches from the cabin. So I turned the air up a bit and BOOM what I thought was soild hard line in fact was hard to a 5' peice of soft plastic ¼ hose the blockage popped the fitting off one end of the soild line. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the old hose that is wire tied every spare out and a new one installed. Any ideas folks?

20200908_145544.jpg

VideoCapture_20200908-195207.jpg

VideoCapture_20200908-195223.jpg

Posted

If you don't have an inspection cover close enough to the fitting, you may need to put one in.  To avoid having to paint things, I would make up 2 rings out of aluminum the same size as the plastic ring that's glued in for an inspection cover.  Probably some aluminum  about .030" to .040" thick.  Thicker wouldn't hurt either.  Clamp the rings together, and drill about 6  or 8  3/32" holes through both pieces of aluminum.  Then cut a slit in one of the rings.  Cut about a 2" - 2 1/2" hole in the fabric where you want the inspection cover.  Using the slit in the one ring, work it into the hole so it ends up laying on top of the fabric.  Take the other ring and cleco it to the top ring but on the bottom side of the fabric.  Rivit the rings together with solid aluminum rivets.  Or countersunk pop rivets.  Then cut the protruding fabric back to the rings every 1/2" or so, and fold it around and glue it to the top ring with poly tac.  Make a doily and glue it over the bottom ring and to the fabric just outside of the ring, slice the fabric sticking into the hole, and fold it up and over the top of the ring and glue in place.  Clear out the blockage in the old line and re hook it up.  JImChuk

Posted

Moving forward as I wait for pitot tube parts to arrive, the cardboard aided design is in full tilt today on the dash. Have you heard of sendcutsend. Com you design in 2d send a .dxf file and they cut from steel or aluminum. This dash with all the cut outs is under $50 bucks from .080 aluminum! SHIPPED!!

IMG_20200911_104344_763.jpg

1 person likes this