Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Needed to buy, borrow, or rent: 912 flywheel puller

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all,  probably most of you know of the ongoing saga with my Kitfox 4 engine issue, I'm switching to the spare engine.  One thing I have to do before I put it in is replace the charging wires that come from the stator coils.   The insulation on those wires is the consistency of putty, and there is no way I'm going to trust it.  Wonder what Rotax was thinking when they used that garbage?  That of course involves removing the flywheel.  Rotax wants $125 for that stinking little puller, and if I just knew what the size and thread is on the flywheel, I could buy a nut and make my own in short order.  But knowing Rotax, they probably have a special thread.  Anybody got one I can lay hands on?   Engine is off the plane, so either the long one or short one will work.  Thanks,  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Thanks, I found that same site on the removal process.  Wish the puller was in the US.  I don't want to wait 3 weeks for it.  I'll look into the 46 MM nut angle.  JImChuk

PS  found a 46 mm fine thread nut on ebay.  It fits a 60s model VW bus axle.  Hope it fits a flywheel.  $15.25..... Good chance it wont work as well.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

I do have a sledgehammer that I will loan out. It has experience at engine disassembly!

1 person likes this

Posted

I do have a sledgehammer that I will loan out. It has experience at engine disassembly!

I have several of them as well, and I almost think I can hear them wispering,  "pick me, pick me"   Some days it's tempting..  JImChuk

Posted

Know exactly what you mean! I am into making the exhaust for this Fox/HKS combo. The hammer is standing by.

Posted

Jim, did you put a query out on the Kitfox FB page and Team Kitfox forums?  Surely someone within has one they'd loan.

Posted

Yes I posted on FB, and one person said they would borrow me theirs for the price of shipping.  To bad, I had already ordered on from LEAF in a buy or rent arrangement.  If I send it back, they return 75% of the $130 they get for the puller.  JImChuk

Posted

Looking on Barnstormers this morning and noticed there was only 6 or 7  "classic" Avid/Foxes for sale in the US below 25-30K. There was a few "high dollar" newer models for sale at prices I couldn't even think about. I guess the supply of the classics have about ended. A partially completed Avid kit was listed at 13K was about the only lower cost one I seen. Normally this time of year they are several for sale. Maybe everybody is afraid to travel during the big threat. Somehow I don't think they are going to get any cheaper in the future. OK, my morning ramble is over!

Posted

I think they come and go.  Last week there was a Kitfox 4 with a Subaru engine for sale about 175 miles from me.  Had engine issues, and they wanted $10,000 for it.  Add went on in the evening, and when I tried to arrange going to have a look at it at noon the next day, it was sold already.  Deals come by, but you have to act fast if it's a real good deal.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Today when buying Avid/Foxes, there isn't any room for tire kickers or hagglers. When I had mine for sale, that's about all the calls I got. You're probably like I am, when I go look at one, I go prepared to buy if I want it.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
1 person likes this