Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

rigging flaps

5 posts in this topic

Posted

hi, i rigged 3° down flap as manual said it, but a little something strange appears when i 'm going fast:

with the same trim position:  i can get a 60mph level at 4700 rpm without touching stick, but plane become nose hvy when i go faster cruise...

is the little 3° down flap which is pitching the plane getting more efficiency with speed? do i try to get flaps up some degres in rigging ? 

Posted

I have 3 down on mine too and plane always wants to climb at higher power settings.  you could try to go less but I have heard weird things happen with reflexes flappers?

Posted

Are you sure the book is telling you to have the flaps down 3 degrees rather than a negative 3 degrees? Negative degrees are up rather than down.          

Jackak

Posted

Are you sure the book is telling you to have the flaps down 3 degrees rather than a negative 3 degrees? Negative degrees are up rather than down.          

Jackak

I think your got it Jackak,  Avid suggested having the flaps able to go to a negative 3 degrees.  My first Avid was squirrly as all get out like that.  Funny thing, there was a little UNSAFE wording at that point on the tube, but I don't think I even noticed that.  I had hardly flown the plane, and somehow I got the flap handle all the way in.  I thought I was going to crash before I got around the pattern and back on to the ground.  Part of that was my inexperience with the plane, and flying in general at that point, but a lot of it was the plane as well.  Others have said the same about having the flaps in reflex position.    TJay,  I think the kitfox may be different in this aspect from the Avid.    JImChuk

Posted

Kitfox has flaps that can reflex, but the flaps are used as pitch trim since they are infinitely adjustable. Works well. Takeoff position is about neutral flap on mine, but that's just really a mark to set them beforehand