Jabiru 2200 Prop Recommendation for C model

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Going to purchase a Jabiru 2200 for my C model HH and wondering what prop you folks are running?

Posted

68 inch Luga is what I got.  When I first started out I wanted to keep it simple and get a warp drive but Daryl would not sell me one for the Jabiru. So I bought a 64 44 Tennessee which was to much prop for mine.  But did get the bird flying I would also like to try a Culver someday but for now I love the Luga, hate the time it takes to get one but love the prop.

Posted

Is that the Luga R82 I see on the website?

Posted

Is that the Luga R82 I see on the website?

CARBON

SR83-1720mm(2-blades,) propeller(clockwise rotation)

this is what my last order from him looked like.

You can email him and he will also tell you what you need. He is a very good guy to work with. My last prop that I bought took about 8 months to get so be prepared to wait and hear nothing for a while.

Posted

I was looking at the 3 blades on the Luga site.  Your using two blade,  cool.

The engine Im picking up is a crate gen 1.  Yes been setting a while and I have to go through it and put on test stand to run a while.  I will need another "test" prop if the wait time is 8 months.  If not longer due to this covid stuff.  I will contact Luga if your happy with it.

I had a discussion with Nick, Arion Aircraft he suggested Sensitech.  

Thanks!

Posted

68 inch Luga is what I got.  When I first started out I wanted to keep it simple and get a warp drive but Daryl would not sell me one for the Jabiru. So I bought a 64 44 Tennessee which was to much prop for mine.  But did get the bird flying I would also like to try a Culver someday but for now I love the Luga, hate the time it takes to get one but love the prop.

I bought the jabiru 2200 and also a Warp Drive 3 blade prop the guy had. The diameter is to small and need longer blades.  Curious why Warp Drive wouldn't sell prop for a Jabiru ?

Posted

I have a 64" two blade warp drive on my Avid.  For a while Jabiru only wanted people to use a wood prop on their engines.  Last time I talked to Darrell about it, he said he would sell me a prop for it.  I did get one blade from him to replaced the broken one after the crash and repair.  I also have a couple of 66" taper tip blades that I ran on the plane for a bit.  Better cruise speed, and less climb so I went back to the 64" square tip ones.  What hub do you have with the warp?  Doubt you want to use a three blade on the Jab, and I'm thinking the cheapest hub warp makes is not strong enough for the Jabiru pulsations.  JImChuk

Posted

What Jim Said and Darrell at Warp also said Jabiru was blaming him for there engine problems in the early days. Said the props were to heavy and causing bad things to happen then said  total BS.

He told me If I own a hub he would sell me blades but would not provide an entire propeller. That's my story from Year 2014

Posted

Was just doing some measuring and the Jabiru uses a 4" bolt pattern, same as a 912 Rotax.  Drive lugs are different size though, only about 1/16" larger on the Jabiru.  Wonder if it would hurt the hub to drill out the warp hub to the larger size.  I'm guessing that's what warp does, or did anyway.  For that matter, maybe the ends of the jabiru drive lugs could be turned down that little bit to fit the rotax hub.  If it was me, I would post an add on barnstormers looking for a prop.  Maybe someone has one laying around.  Wood is nicer in a way, it's light, and absorbs pulses better then composits do.  Hard to adjust though without the use of a belt sander..... JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a 64" two blade warp drive on my Avid.  For a while Jabiru only wanted people to use a wood prop on their engines.  Last time I talked to Darrell about it, he said he would sell me a prop for it.  I did get one blade from him to replaced the broken one after the crash and repair.  I also have a couple of 66" taper tip blades that I ran on the plane for a bit.  Better cruise speed, and less climb so I went back to the 64" square tip ones.  What hub do you have with the warp?  Doubt you want to use a three blade on the Jab, and I'm thinking the cheapest hub warp makes is not strong enough for the Jabiru pulsations.  JImChuk

I think its a HPL-R three blade hub.  Going by warp drives downloads. 

Its 54 inch.

Prop was just some parts there when I bought the engine.  Gave a small price to throw it into the deal.

15981982111971302827239399640623.jpg

Posted

Like to just get what you guys spin. Proven experience is key from you guys,  I'm learning here. Doesn't sound like Warp drive is very friendly to Jabiru owners. Nick at Arion, Jabiru supplier says he sells Sensitech. Not sure.

Tjay, I got a quote from Norman at Luga for your prop size you sent me.  

I think something ground adjustable would be good but like Jim said wood is nice.  Not sure.  Buy both and find out $$$.

Thanks

Jack

Posted

When I talked to Daryl at Warp Drive he said the only failures he knew of were Warp Drive props used on Jabiru engines. He mentioned 2 failures on the 2200 using the older hubs. But that was several years ago, too. But I am sure it wasn't their fault. Its always someone else's fault, pilot, installation error, engine manufacturer, bolt maker, etc.

1 person likes this

Posted

The earliest Jabirus used 1/4" bolts to hold the flywheel to the crankshaft.  Later ones like mine used 5/16" bolts.  Later ones yet used 5/16" bolts and pins.  I think it may have been those early 1/4" bolts that caused more of a problem when a composite prop was used.  Sensenich wants an arm and a leg for their wood props, something like $1100.  For that much, you could have gotten 2 from Tennessee props.  To bad they went out of business.  Culver and a couple of others make wood props as well.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Thanks guys.  Attaching pics from my parts book about prop flange to crank bolts.  Says 3/8".

15982144184875991856560210236020.jpg

15982144485694128739431638604515.jpg

15982144841668247191534980665880.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thats the prop hub, opposite end of engine has the flywheel that I was talking about with the smaller bolts.  I believe you will see there are 6  5/16" fasteners on yours.  They are 1 1/4" long, fine thread allen head screws.   I actually just changed mine out yesterday.  It is recomended that those bolts get changed out after about 100 hrs if you are running a heavy prop like a Warp Drive.  JImChuk

PS  what does the back side of that warp drive prop hub look like?  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Sorry, the parts book I have says 5/16 flywheel bolts from s/n 22A437.  Mines 22A1230

Here's some more prop pics15982198888428376898711168063919.thumb.j

Posted

Spinner pic for the warp drive

15982204183082344322970583562729.jpg

Posted

How big is the center hole on the back of the hub, and what is the center to center dimention on the outer bolts?  JImChuk

Posted

Looks like 1 3/8"  center hole on back

Hole to hole center on outer 2"

15982263481516702930216143077872.jpg

15982265197541151051476767129769.jpg

Posted

The centering hole is like what would fit on an early model 912 Rotax.  (somewhere around pre 1995 or so)  Their outer holes are 100MM center, or about 3 15/16" center to center.  That would be measuring across the center.  Jabiru is 4", center to center, or 101.6 MM.  Either way, this prop would be to heavy on a Jabiru.  To bad it doesn't fit the newer 912 centering hole, I could maybe use it.  I already have one like yours, if your hole pattern is the 100MM instead of the 101.6 MM.  JImChuk

Posted

I'll get the caliper on it later and let you know, but sounds like its a wall ornament. Lol!

Posted (edited)

It's been a long time since I have owned a 912uls but I thought the prop hub on it was just flat all the way a crossed like my Jabiru is. Why would the centering hole matter? But I could be mistaken.

Never mind I found some pictures and see they have a lip on the prop hub.

Edited by TJay

Posted

I would like some sort of test prop for when I put the Jab on a test stand.  This warp drive doesn't sound like it will work in that case either.  By the way the cylinders do have some corrosion after borescoping yesterday. I will be pulling and hone them. Probably due some updates then.

Posted

It's been a long time since I have owned a 912uls but I thought the prop hub on it was just flat all the way a crossed like my Jabiru is. Why would the centering hole matter? But I could be mistaken.

Never mind I found some pictures and see they have a lip on the prop hub.

Here are a couple of pics of the early and later style prop hubs used on the 912.  in the second picture, the hub doesn't have the drive lugs installed, but would use them.   JImChuk

Photo1271.jpg

Photo1272.jpg

Posted

Gotcha,  the early one my prop would go over but not the later.  I need to double check my measurements with caliper.