Exhaust header near firewall

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm doing the final bits to get my 912UL installed in my Kitfox 2.  I had to modify the exhaust headers to get the muffler that came with the engine tucked in well.  I'm doing the firewall now and the headers are about a 1/4" from the firewall wells for the rudder pedals.  Does anyone know if there is a minimum distance allowed?  I ordered some insulating exhaust tape for this section of the headers but I want to make sure I am legal.

Posted

On an experimental, I'm not sure that legal would come into play.  Other then maybe your AnP saying he wont sign it off like it is.  I would think it's more a matter of what is safe.  If you were to put a recess in the firewall to give more clearance, would your rudder pedals ever touch the recess with full rudder deflection?  Got any pictures?  JImChuk

Posted

I haven't made the recess for the firewall yet.  That is the next thing I need to do.  I looked at the builders manual last night and it says that the pedals should be vertical (90 degrees) at neutral.  There is about an inch between the rudder pedal and the header at full deflection but if I apply the brake the distance goes to almost zero.  The brakes aren't connected so I don't know how far the brake would actually go.  I guess I need to do that next.

Posted

1/4" is pretty tight but I use the insulating wrap on all my exhaust and it does a great job of keeping heat out of the engine compartment.  Just make sure engine or muffler vibration doesn't cause it to rub the firewall. I've seen them that close before with no issues.

Posted

I have had wonderful luck with having the head pipes ceramic coated inside and out and not bothered with that weird fiberglass insulating tape (or whatever it is made of). The ceramic inside and out is inexpensive and stops heat transfer like nobody's business! An added bonus is it looks way cleaner and doesn't require periodic replacement like the insulating tape.

1 person likes this