Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Speed Stall Avid Flyer C

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello. 
I have an Avid Flyer I think C or B with the C kits, it has disc brakes and tank on the wing.
I'd like to know what stall speed this plane has. During the instruction, the instructor told me not to go below 60 mph, which led me to landings with speed, which caused vibrations in the nose wheel. After a few hours with him, in height and having verified that without faps with a single person 85 kg (582 engine and Stool Winds) I fly at 40 miles with total maneuverability, at 2,000 feet and with an outside temperature of 32ºC, the approaches I am making at 55 mpH. Can someone tell me what speeds are recommended with these atmospheric conditions? Thank you so much.

Posted

I cruise around at 60mph. A good approach speed is 55 over the numbers and land wherever it touches down after that. I suggest you go do some good slow flight flying and go from there.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have tested it at altitude and at 40 mpH without flaps and it flies stable. 2000 ft QNH, 32ºC, 85kg, 35kg fuel.

Posted

The very first thing you should be doing at altitude is figuring out the numbers on your plane.  There are so many factors that go into the differences of the indicated airspeed from plane to the next that my numbers are pretty much worthless to you.  YOU need to figure out at what speed YOUR plane stalls at.  Do this at altitude then you wont have to worry about it anymore.  Stall recovery is really simple in these planes, just relax back pressure and your flying again.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Akflyer, it is the first thing I did, but the numbers are so good that they do not give me peace of mind, I have tried alone and at 40 mpH IAS without flaps it flies perfectly. I have tried to stall, but I can't, without power the stick hits me and descends smoothly. It is true that this plane is very well manufactured, with certified fabrics. I will try again with a passenger. The other day in my flying club they told me that this plane when it stalls is very dangerous and that left me thoughtful.

Posted

The Avids I have flown did not have a dangerous stall.  Every plane is different so I can't say how yours stalls, but few that fly them will say they are dangerous in the stall.  And it seems that every ASI is different also.  Most of them lie in one way or another.  Maybe one Avid will stall at 50 and the other at 30, at least according to their ASI.  Maybe they actually are both stalling at 40 in actual speed.  I just went back and reread Leni's (akflyer) post, and he said it all.  JImChuk

Posted

I dont like resurecting posts but was check flying the avid aerobat (stol wings)mk4? jabiru 2200 for its permit and the stall test is pull back gently and slowly decrease speed till it stalls.

i was sitting on idle with the stick against the seat at 49mph ias and sinking out at 550 fpm with the nose still pointing skywards.

It was a windy turbulent day so wasnt to happy about an accelerated stall or stalling with flaps as the plane is still relatively new to me (13 hours)

and was flying like a piece of shit for the first nine of those hours. Can anyone else give me an idea of where the nose should be dropping clean and with flaps

regards

William