Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Model C Repair-Update

2 posts in this topic

Posted

This a progress update on my yellow Avid Model C purchased with tail damage.  The  fuselage, horizontal stabilizer and elevator are straight and ready to be i stalled, but with the weight changes I have been making,  I may delay skinning the rear fuselage until the new custom exhaust is installed.  Previously, the Copper radiator was replaced with the aluminum.  

I think the weight and balance should be done with scales which I have access too, to how the CG has moved.  Any suggestions with regard to fwd CG versus slightly heavy tail?  See CAD of the new exhaust for the NSI powerplant. More like a J3 style and much lighter than the original stainless muffler, and I will have to modify the lower cowl to fit the exhaust outlet

Attached is also a picture of the new panel layout installing the GRT Mini X, ICOM VHF,  and an Appareo Transponder w/3i for ADSB traffic and weather on my IPad Mini.  An Appareo USB charger for my wife.   Any suggestions will be welcome.  

BC8854DF-CD00-4869-A9FD-ECD5E3BF39E8.jpeg

0FFE8BC1-1770-44D5-A6C8-C113A9D011BF.jpeg

681A3E62-4FC6-4DF7-8A77-2DF5CEA85555.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

With the Subaru engine in the front, you shouldn't have any worries about being tail heavy.  I think you will want to have everything as far back as you can to lessen the amount of weight you will have to add to the tail.  I like the idea of a single engine monitor, last two planes I've done I used an MGL E1 engine monitor, and it does all the engine instruments, plus flight log and a few other things if you want to add sensors for it.  you end up with one 3 1/8" gauge instead of a bunch of 2 1/4" ones.   JImChuk