Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

503 In An Avid

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Thanks tcj. I just ordered a second one. It's listed as a Ski-Doo Intake Socket on the ebay listing I found. Part number is 420867408 (one number different from the 503 specific part). I think the reason the part number doesn't match the 503 parts diagram is because the injector tube is in the side instead of the bottom. Like you said, I was planning to pre-mix anyway. My motor didn't even  come with an injector.

Posted

i also have a 503 DCDI - 3 blade warp drive in a KF 1 at 425 lbs  as of now max RPM is set at 6750 . 

On the other 503's in different airplanes  I have had in the past max was 6250  -  Can anyone tell me what they have for limits 

lbl

Posted (edited)

I ran a 503 for six years without ANY issues. I did try going from dual carbs to a single carb. There was a noticeable drop in performance over dual carbs so I switched back. I plugged the oil injection ports with epoxy and worked fine. Oil injection to me in my worthless opinion will shorten engine life. I'll explain before getting gutted and quartered. The oil injection ports sit about 2-2 1/2" from the crankcase. That close and the oil does not have time to completely mix with the gas so proper oil does not make it to the outer bearings where its needed, only a partial amount of oil makes it there mainly gas. In a premix the mist entering the crankcase is evenly mixed so oil makes it where it needs to be. Of course, one could forget to mix it. Since most 582's are oil injected, that might explain why 582's seem to have a shorter main bearing life (fact) than 503's. No evidence to back this theory up, but just my opinion. I had my static RPM set at 6350-6400 so I didn't go past 6500 in the air.

Edited by Allen Sutphin