Ethanol Proof Fuel Tanks

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone here know when and if Avid started using a different resin for the glass tanks.

I wanted to use 91 AKI in my Avid MK4 for all my short (1.5 hour or less trips) so I installed a marine outboard 6 gallon tank on my passenger seat .

I can easily switch from the seat tank to the wing tanks.

Borescope photos are showing that the lead accumulation is flaking off of the top of the piston so it is doing what I want.

Then I remembered that Avid started using a different fuel tank fiberglass formula, but don't know what serial number. 

Anyone know when they changed over?

As I recall the new tanks looked white inside and the old were tan.

Still enjoying flying my Jabiru powered Avid after over 5,000 hours.

John M

Posted

The wingtanks sold by Kitfox used different color sealants over the years. As far as I know, all f/g tanks sold now are not sealed ie. raw f/g. The change to ethanol resistant resin was several years back at KF and [old] Airdale. I had a conversation and quote from Steve Winder when Jerry still owned Airdale for the new E-Resistant Avid wing tank with a flush mounted filler cap. I believe Bret McKinney had the contact when he purchased Airdale from Jerry. It was a third party manufacturer and drop ship deal like the KF tanks. In fact, I think it was the same source making wing tanks for both. Don't forget, the wing twist is different so you must specify plane and model.

Posted

I have a right tank that I bought from Airdale years ago, just like the tanks you talking about above, ethanol resistant Resin with flush fueling cap,That I might let go, as you can see it still in the shipping wrapper, never installed!

Posted

754E2E22-E29D-48FC-B0A1-8A9DA2AF72A5.jpeg

DA885CEF-5583-4BE5-B83C-04C63D2CE617.jpeg

Posted

STOL wing

Posted

754E2E22-E29D-48FC-B0A1-8A9DA2AF72A5.jpeg

DA885CEF-5583-4BE5-B83C-04C63D2CE617.jpeg

still have them?

Posted

Yes , I pm you

Posted

Do you still have this tank?

Posted

Yes, I sent you a personal message someone back, anyway, $500 includes instructions about cleansing the tankAnd flush mount and fuel cap and assembly.

If interested, give me your zip and I’ll get the freight cost

And flush mount and fuel cap and assembly.

If interested

1 person likes this