Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tiny Tach problems

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I've seen a lot of mixed reports on the Tiny Tach. People either love them or can't get it to read right, no matter what. So, I'm just going to describe everything I did to finally make it work right. First, I hooked it up like it said. It worked perfectly. The End. No, wait.... the next time I ran it, it worked at lower rpm's, but went wacky over 5k. Okay, so I had coiled up the slack and wire tied it after the first test. I undid that and zip tied it along the tubing, away from other wires, so it wasn't coiled up or looped next to itself. It worked. The End. No, not again.. it worked, but the next time I ran it, it did the same thing. I tried coiling it again. No. I wire tied the spark plug wires to have more separation between them. It worked once, again. Just once. I put ignition shielding over the spark plug wires and kill switch wires. No. Finally, I cut the tach wire, put stainless shielding on it, fed it through a separate hole in the firewall, and made it as short as possible. No. I had left one unshielded spot on the plug wire to wrap the tach wire. I moved it and wrapped it around the shielded portion of wire, nearer the coil. It didn't read at low rpm's, then stayed at 19,900. I put it back where I had it. By then, the end of the wire broke off from overworking it, so it is just long enough to complete one wrap around, but not back over itself. I wrapped it with splicing tape to hold it on, then wrapped that and the ground wire both with tempered aluminum tape. While I was doing that and changing the jetting, I found that one spark plug cap was loose. No apparent reason. The clips were there. The terminal was tight. It had a positive snap on, but had 1/4" play in it, up and down. I replaced that spark plug cap. The tach works right now. It might have been the extra shielding. It might have been the noise from the bad connection. It's pretty nice when it works. 

Posted

Not sure what I'm doing different, but I have one on the Kitfox, and 3 others on lawn maintenance equipment. Over the years I have had others as well. All have worked great. Some are/were stored outside and I have never had a issue with any of them. Of the 4 I currently have, I have one genuine tiny tach and 3 import copies. The import ones you can change the battery. On the genuine one if the internal battery dies then that's it since it isn't replaceable.

@Yamma-Fox - I have that same digital hall effect tach on my milling machine. On that it works excellent.

1 person likes this