Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Belly fabric repair

10 posts in this topic

Posted

What is the best way to touch up the belly fabric tapes? It is Poly fiber finished with poly tone paint.

20200703_131351.jpg

Posted

Poly tone is like lacquer.  It will melt into itself.  Just mist another coat over the damaged area.  Done.

Posted (edited)

A foam brush with a bit of poly tone on it and you can tough that up and like Larry said, it will melt into itself.  Have I said lately how much I love poly for the ease of field repairs?  :lol:

Edited by akflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I still have a bunch of poly fiber paint that is 24 years old. I stirred the poly tone and it seemed ok. Do you think it is still good? I would like to touch up a few places on my Bandit.

Posted

Poly Fiber says a 3 year shelf life I believe, but I've used some pretty old stuff with no problems.  Maybe add a bit more thinner then recommended if you think it evaporated some over the years.  Worth a try, even on some cardboard to see how it does.  JImChuk

Posted

Is there a aerosol metal primer that is compatible with Polyfiber? I would like to touch up a few spots on the airframe.

Posted

The only paint that will stand up to PolyTone that I know of, is Epoxy and not all of them.  If you want to be sure use the PolyFiber brand.  Unfortunately only available in two colors, White and green.

Posted

I think any epoxy would work if it's not disolved by MEK or other strong solvents.  I even used the so called epoxy in a rattle can for a little bit, and it seemed ok.  Maybe the poly fiber will start to disolve the paint, and then it all hardens up as it dries.  One could do a test on something  that doesn't matter to see what happens.  JImChuk

Posted

I covered a square frame with polyfiber and went through the painting steps and it looks like my 20 some year old paint is going to work.

2 people like this

Posted

I touched up the belly fabric. Sprayed the tapes with 3 coats of poly spray with wet sanding between, then a couple coats of poly tone. The 20 some year old paint worked good. A A&P told me to sand and prime the tubes with this automotive aerosol etching primer paint. The poly tone worked good with it.

20200715_171419.jpg

2 people like this