Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inspection covers location

10 posts in this topic

Posted

The wings on my Kitfox don't have any inspection holes in them. What are the places that need them?

Posted

I've got 2 in my left wing. One for the pitot attachment and one where it goes thru the spar.

Posted

If the wing tips are not removable, out near the tips is a good place as well.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The wing tips are removable. I had an A$P tell me there wasnt enough inspection covers in the wings and that I was gonna have to put a bunch more in. But maybe there doesn't need to be that many?

Edited by FireFoxIV

Posted

Inspection covers are placed in order to inspect or perform maintenance. On a Piper for example they are placed to get at the drag and anti-drag wire fittings, bellcranks, pulleys, etc. On a kitfox there are riveted and bonded drag/anti-drag tubes, not wires with clevises, and a kitfox has no internal wing controls. With a removable wingtip, you can see down through the entire structure. If you want a closer look, you can buy a USB inspection camera that can be inserted from the removable tip to look at any spot in a kitfox wing. I recently bought one for about $20. Also, even on production airplanes many of the inspection rings are placed in case of needed maintenance but not cut out until needed, hence no cover. I would not be putting a bunch of inspection covers on just to satisfy an inspection cover happy A&P.

Posted

An A&P who is familiar with Avid/Foxes knows how to look and what to look for in a wing on a Avid/Fox. On of the reasons that I don't do condition inspections on aircraft that I am not experienced on. Not a lot different than the old rag and tube planes that I fool with. Composites are ones that I won't touch due to way too many variables in construction methods.

Posted

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to know. There is no moving parts in the wing so it make sense that there doesn't need to be inspections holes all over the place:)

Posted

You can buy an inexpensive USB camera and go in and look through the wing tip at almost anything you want to look at. I bought one with something like 20 feet of cord attached and it works pretty darn well. Even has a ring of dimmable LED lights on the camera and it's barely larger than a pencil. I just tape it to a long stick and inspect away. Not perfect, but works OK. I wouldn't try and punch a bunch of holes since you can do a pretty good job inspecting as I just described.

Posted

You can buy an inexpensive USB camera and go in and look through the wing tip at almost anything you want to look at. I bought one with something like 20 feet of cord attached and it works pretty darn well. Even has a ring of dimmable LED lights on the camera and it's barely larger than a pencil. I just tape it to a long stick and inspect away. Not perfect, but works OK. I wouldn't try and punch a bunch of holes since you can do a pretty good job inspecting as I just described.

thanks Chris. That's sound a lot easier:rolleyes:

I really wasnt look forward to cutting holes in my fabric

Posted

If you have a problem, such as a ground loop, then a full camera internal inspection is a good idea. Otherwise, the simplicity of the internal wing structure makes a simple coin tap inspection of the ribs, which will show cracks, rot and spar disbonds, should be enough. A small tapping hammer tapping along the ribs every few inches will show the thud or rattle that signals trouble. I have worked with composite structures, and had inspectors tap to see voids, and then compared their grease pencil outlines with X-Rays. It is astonishing how good tapping is!

4 people like this