Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rescued Avid Model C SN573

10 posts in this topic

Posted

We picked up a minor Fuselage/tail damaged Avid from Indianapolis.  Trailered across, Indiana, Illinois Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and home in San Diego.  A great trip for a well built plane. She’ll be in the air soon, and a dream come true!. 

DA2983D8-4F48-472F-BF48-72E9D70F0105.jpeg

BC38931C-C1ED-4A10-9600-9C946C8A87EF.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the group Doug, keep us informed on your progress.   JImChuk

Posted

Will do, she sits well next to the Pietenpol project.  

5B028B28-381E-40D5-ABD0-50F2EC2EFC6A.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Avid Flyer is getting a new exhaust from Custom Aircraft in El Cajon.  The old NSI  exhaust/muffler was heavy and in need of extensive welding.  I’ll take a couple of pictures when the exhaust goes back on the engine. 

Next on the list was straightening the left elevator, stabilizer and one longeron.  Everything is now square and ready for fabric.  It was covered in Poly Stits, and I am leaning the same direction.. 

Since I have an avionics shop, my plans are to install lightweight modern avionic units since the plane has none! No radio or transponder and I am in the San Diego Class C veil.  

90584D93-70CA-43C9-88D6-06AEC289C603.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

When doing the elevator I believe kitfox  have a small twist in them.  You might already know this. Looks like a great airplane.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you, did not know that..  I got in touch with Stewart Systems, and they gave me directions to splice the tail fabric to the Polystits.   I’ll use Superflite 2.7 fabric unless somebody says differently..

Any Avid pilots/ owners in the San Diego area? 

Posted

If possible, I would personally stick to the same covering system.  If it is polyfiber with a polytone top finish it is very easy to stay with polyfiber, and the color should match. The only reason I would switch from what is already there is if it is problematic to stay with the polyfiber system. The only reason that would be the case is if the top coat color is aerothane or something other than polytone. To tell the truth, even if the top coat was aerothane I would still stay with the same covering system. 

Posted

The fabric used is the same same.  Might have a different stamp on it but its the same type of fabric.  I recently used the stewarts glue and eco fill for the first time and it was great to work with, then shot the top coat with polytone to match the existing paint.  The IA is the one that had me do it that way in his hangar during an annual on the pacer.  Worked fine and he does it all the time.

Posted

You can also use the stewarts glue to make an open panel repair without having a structure under it.

Posted

Thanks for the fabric input, in my younger days I helped cover a Stinson 108  wing and fuselage, along with DC3 flight control surfaces with polystits.  Fast forward 30 years and my hands aren’t as nimble, so I am trying a new method of glueing.  I’ll post pictures as the process continues.  

The stainless steel exhaust was repaired to many times, so I’ve enlisted the help from Custom Aircraft in El Cajon, CA to fabricate a more updated muffler and piping to allow expansion, and the radiator cooling fins were crumbling, so Kirks radiator who is located next to Gillespie Field has my old one and will work up an aluminum replacement.  Those were the big ticket replacement items required for safe flight and to weight loss.

Thankfully I have access to scales when the airframe repairs/upgrades are done to recalculate the CG.  

77AE5259-A99D-4575-9933-F5D3E1ADA37E.jpeg