Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking to buy a MK IV - 1st time buyer. Who do I take with me?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone, im Ed and I’m new to the forum. Live in Utah and there’s a MK IV for sale close by that I’ve been eyeing for a while. 

My question is, who do I take (and pay) with me to inspect the plane? Do you know anyone in the Utah area that you recommend? 

What would you say are the major things to look out for?

Thank you!!

if this is the wrong section of the forum to post please let me know and I’ll change it. 

Posted

Welcome to the group first off.  The Avid MK IV is a nice airplane, I've spent a lot of time in a couple of them.  As far as what to look out for, of course overall condition, has it been flying regularly, what engine does it have, ect.  These are some of the first things I would be wondering about.  The rib tails that the flaperons hang off of  should be looked over very well.  If there has been some rot there, it would not be a good thing.  Because these and all other homebuilts are built by all sorts of people, (amateurs) you may run into most anything that they thought was a good idea, but others may not.  One thing nice about these experimental aircraft, is you can change most things on them to something that makes more sense.  Avids do tend to be a bit on the nose heavy side as far as CG is concerned, so if someone hung a heavy Subaru engine on the front, they had to hang a bunch of weight in the tail to offset it.  Which makes for a heavy aircraft on both ends.  There is a fuselage stretch that has been done on some Avids which does help this issue out.  Hopefully someone will pipe up that is close to you and can have a look at it for/with you.  Maybe if the plane has been for sale for a while, others may have seen it already and formed an opinion already, good or bad.  Wish I could be more helpful, JImChuk

Posted

JImChuk, thank you so much for your reply. I will keep an eye on those for sure, I'm making a list, hopefully I'm able to share once I'm done. I'm new to aviation...well, to be completely honesty these are the type of planes I wanna fly and I will get my sports or private instruction on it as well. 

I guess the person that I would take inspecting could be Wyoming too since that's where the place is (south west Wyoming). 

Again, thanks for your reply and awaiting for others. 

Posted (edited)

Check your messages, I live near Cedar City, and own an Avid MK IV. Call me! Nick Lappos

Some past threads that might help:

Edited by nlappos