Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alum plate

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Got the motor mount plate in today. A 3/8" X10" X 18" 6061-651 was $21 plus $11 shipping. A decent price I think. Now to get it cut to the right size. Maybe find a machine shop to do it.

Posted

Depending on how you want it cut, I use a table saw or power miter saw lots of times to cut aluminum.  Use a sharp carbide tipped blade, and don't let it chatter.  Was just doing it today for that matter.  Saber saw will do the curves fairly well if you have the right blades.  JImChuk

Posted

I'll probably do it myself since no machine shops around here. I normally use the air saw since its light and easy to cut sharper curves. This one will have a center cut out for the oil pick-up,sump.

Posted

It may not have the reach but I bought a Harbor Freight handheld bandsaw for ~$100 and made a simple wooden hanger that clamps into my vice.  I also made a small cutting surface.  It has become one of my most valuable tools.

IMG_20200308_175512375 (2).jpg

Posted

A bandsaw can be worth its weight in gold sometimes. I'll get it cut out, just a time consuming job. I could probably have it done by the time I found a machine shop and take it there. A disadvantage of living in the mountains, do it yourself or it don't get done.

Posted

When I built the aluminum plate I just use a wood cutting band saw with a wood cutting blade 6 teeth per inch and it cuts like butter and no fear of it hooking. one blade cuts for years.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I've cut a lot of alum with an old band saw I had at one time. Outside cuts aren't really too tough. The inside sump cut out will be a little tricky. Might take a few pots of Maxwell House to do it, though!  I'll start on it after I get the extra lord mounting bushings welded on. I'll end up having 6 rubber mounts on the plate. This week has been a tough week, mowing, equipment breakdowns, and just my tired old butt getting things done. Getting old really does suck! I did get rid of the Challenger airframe this week, though.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

how about a hole saw to start, and a saber saw to finish it up.

Posted

how about a hole saw to start, and a saber saw to finish it up.

That's my plan of attack.

Posted

Made a lot of shavings today out of an expensive piece of metal. Surprised myself, it turned out pretty darn good. Next thing is to cut out the sump hole in the middle. All six lord mounts lined up and fit so I figured I'd better quit for the day. I love it when a plan comes together!

5 people like this

Posted

Well, got the motor plate completed. It fits the engine and it fits the motor mount, now if all three fit together!

2 people like this

Posted

Knew you could do it!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Still a little ways to go. Have to sandwich an oil cooler in there somewhere along with an oil tank and several other items. No wonder these kit companies charge a small fortune for FWF installation kits. A lot of time is involved in making everything fit.

3 people like this